Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Blanket Stitch >

Machine Blanket Stitch

Machine Blanket Stitch

Old 04-29-2013, 05:22 PM

Page 24 of your 830 Bernina Guide manual shows the Blind hem stitch... You can use this stitch but with a different foot (maybe zig zag foot?) you'll have to PLAY with width and length to get the LOOK you want. When you get the look you want - WRITE DOWN THE stitch width, length, needle position and foot used. That sounds like a no brainer but how many times have I NOT done that ???? One of the BEST deco stitches this machine does (IMHO) is the # 2 (I call it serpentine stitch) It is the BEST for stitching down bindings on the FRONT... Really FAST and cute. My 830 is the envy of my quilting friends for that binding stitch... they come over to "borrow" my machine... I LOVE MY 830Record...... NOT to be confused with the computerized 830... A dealer said they named the NEW one the same as the old to get people to realize that the NEW is just as good as the OLD.... Fine and Dandy... It is still confusing as ****.....
Old 04-29-2013, 09:33 PM

My Bernina 830 Record is the twin of yours - same year. They were the Lamborghini of sewing machines when new, and are still going for big bucks on eBay. I've had mine for about 8 years and use it a lot.

The #1 stitch, when you use a very short stitch length and about a 3 width, looks more like the blanket stitch to me than the #4, despite the illustration on the machine. (Maybe I never worked that out correctly!) The truth is I like to use the Elna Supermatic (even older, with removable cams) for blanket stitch on binding, but don't give up on the Bernina for applique until you've fiddled with stitch #1. It has a slightly rounded shape, that looks a bit like scallops going around, and I think it will look nice. It will be zigging to the left, which is okay for applique, but drives me nuts on binding because the entire quilt has to go through the throat of the machine. You'll definitely want to work it out on scraps prepared in the same way as the real thing. The 030 embroidery foot might be better to use, but the 0 foot should be okay.

One more thing: I hope you don't have to pull any of these tiny stitches, but it's not as impossible as it looks because you can rip the wider ones in the zig on the top, and then the little ones are not too bad to pull out on the underside - not fun at all, but not impossible. I know about this because I was crazy enough to decide I hated the binding I put on six place mats, and I have pulled all of it out. I mean I really, really hated it, and pulling it off was therapeutic.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM

The 830 I got back when I was sewing cloths. I really knew that machine. I got a new Bernina and kept the 830 for the 4H kids (the store wouldn't give me much for a trade in). When my daughter married, I gave it to her and she's still using it. I don't remember a blanket stitch, but then I wasn't interested in it at the time.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The vintage 830 RECORD doesn't do a blanket stitch. Bummer, I know. It's the only stitch I really wish it had. You'll have to use another machine if you really have to have the blanket stitch.
I have sewn on a 830 record since 1974. It does not have a true blanket stitch, it only has the hem stitch. I made it work as a blanket stitch by using a heavier thread. You will have to have another machine for a true blanket stitch. I now own a Bernina 440 and use it mostly, my 830 being in semi retirement. The 830 is a great machine and I will never let it go.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 AM

test your stitches. there is one on the original 830 that makes a nice crazy quilt stitch. i have the same machine, well my daughter has it now, which is why i can't tell you which stitch it is. it is towards the higher numbers.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 AM

You could also use a Zig Zag stitch to applique.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM

I have 2 machines. a Brother D270 & the blanket stitch is wonderful. Not so much on the New Home (which I use more). It is a hassle to change about. but "you do whattcha you gotta do!"
Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 PM

I also have the "original" 830 and it is a real work horse. I checked and there is no blanket stitch on that machine. I got a 440 three years ago and but just couldn't part with the 830. It's an oldie but a goodie.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 AM

I have an older Bernina also. It does not have a blanket stitch so I used a stitch that looked similar. Now that the quilt is sitting around while I hand quilt it, no one would EVER notice that I did not use a blanket stitch. It is the overall view that one notices.
Someday I will get a newer Bernina, but it will be a while....lots of other priorities first.