Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine that does Sashiko stitches?

Machine that does Sashiko stitches?

I was in a sewing machine shop the other day. I saw this terrific machine that does a straight quilting stitch that looks so much like a stitch done by hand. I think it will do wide curves, however I think all you can adjust is the length of the stitch and the distance between stitches. I can't recall the machine brand, it started with an 'S'.
    I surfed and could not come up with that machine or any other brand that does the Sashiko stitch. Help please. Libber

Babylock makes a Sashiko only dedicated machine but it is kind of pricey for a single purpose machine unless you have a large machine budget. They are also hard to find at most shops that stock and sell Babylock. I would love to have one but can't quite justify it right now. If you google Babylock Sashiko machine you should get a link to the site.

John
    Fixedgearhead
    Making the world a better place,
    One stitch and one dovetail at a time.

Blog Entries
    Theres one available on Ebay! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...=p3286.c0.m359

and a previous thread here on QB sashiko machine
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

The ones in our local quilt shop are upwards of $2000. Yikes.

It's likely the Babylock Sashiko machine. I know of only one person who has bought one and I know she paid about $1000 for it. On other forums, the pricing has been listed between $1,800 and $2,600, so it could be she got a wholesale deal.

BTW, according to Bernina online, you can fake a sashiko like stitch by using invisible thread in the bottom, as I recall (don't quote me on that).
    Last edited by IAmCatOwned; 01-29-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Current piecing: Zig Zag quilt & LOTL (HSTs done, assembling units)
    Hand piecing project: Apple core (TOP IS DONE!!!! Yay!)

The back side is an unattractive chain stitch, IMHO. So, it would make it useless to use on quilts and in my eyes why even bother if the back is ugly?