Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine embroider flannel quilt question  please >

machine embroider flannel quilt question please

machine embroider flannel quilt question please

Old 01-08-2011, 12:56 PM

I am finishing a flannel top using the Boxed Squares pattern. I want to quilt my sandwich using my embroidery machine. The top is flannel, batting is low loft cotton, and backing will be regular moda cotton. I will be using a quilting desing, not just a regular embroidery design. I also will put my machine on the slowest setting.

My question is will this be too much thickness? Any needle suggestions? And last but not least, I usually spray baste. Should I do something different? I hope to start it tomorrow or after work this coming week.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 PM

I have used the same thickness as you have expressed, the cotton, batting and flannel. I did noting different and used the same size needle as for other embroidering.
I may suggest that you make a sample square and try your design on it before starting your quilt.
It should work without problems but be sure first.
God luck!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:37 PM

I have the Singer embroidery sewing machine and I embroider quilted 2 crib quilts. It works really good. The only problem I really had was the weight of the quilt with the safety pins I used to baste the layers togther was much to heavy. Spray basting is probably a good way to go. I intend to spray baste the quilt I'm working on now anyway. Just be sure to stay close in case your quilt is too heavy for the embroidery unit. My quilt stopped the hoop from moving as it should. I messed up a few times before I figured out the problem. I had to hold the bulk of the quilt up in the air for it to work right. I ended up hanging the bulk over a desk lamp to hold it up. Be sure not to hang so much that it will pull on the unit. Have it hanging kinda loose. Good luck with it. I hope it works out for you
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 PM

Thank you both so much! I have half of the top put together. Will finish that part tomorrow for sure. Will post pics of it.

Also, does anyone know of a really go machine embroidery and quilting book or web site?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Where do you find these quilting designs for the embroidery machine? I can't seem to find any.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Will be interested also in brookemarie19 question. Hadn't thought of machine embroidering through the 3 layers.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM

One I can remember off the top of my head is www.embroidery.com. There are a few others, too. I'm on my cell now, but when I get on pc tomorrow I will post the others I have bookmarked...unless someone here can post sooner.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM

I have some really nice quilt designs from OESD they have formats for all types of embroidery machines. I usually try to buy from retired collections cheaper for me.But there is one I want and it is different feather designs it is in Platinum collection I think or it could be Primere collection
very pretty designs.www.embroideryonline.com
Old 01-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Hi,

I have found quilting designs at Anita Good Design, Embroidery Library, Dakota Collectibles, etc., almost all of them have some, put in a search on the site.

I have done several tablerunners using embroidery as quilting and a couple baby quilts. It's fun and it works super. I usually do some designs in some of the squares and then SID the rest of the quilt.

Bev
Old 01-09-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Where do you find these quilting designs for the embroidery machine? I can't seem to find any.
I have a lot which I mostly got free. I belong to a lot of embroidery groups on Yahoo. I just got thru browing thru the Designs by Sick site and they have some nice ones. Can't remember if they were free though. Once you join groups, they will send you emails and you will find that many offer free embroidery designs as well as quilting designs for you to try their work.