Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine embroidery >

machine embroidery

machine embroidery

Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM

as you probably know,i ordered a brother se350 by mistake[mine,of course!] while reading on the board i caught a thread that made the comment'don't forget to allow $100.00-$200.00 for thread stablizers etc almost went into stickershock !!!!! then,whilelooking thru machine embr.notions etc isaw solvy reg.stablizers.i have TONS of that type of stablizers,etc. PLEASE tell me that i can use at least some of the things i already have,& don't have to go out &spend another fortune just tostart !
also a mention of a larger hoop available for this machine.......does anyone have info on that,or have they bought one,& how do they like it? any help at all will be SOappreciated!!!!!dar
Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Actually, you could hoop batting under your fabric and probably be ok without stabilizer (shhhhh, don't tell the embroidery police that I've done that!)

Also, pretty much any thread that your machine likes will work...bobbin thread even.

As for needles, if it doesn't kill your fabric, go ahead and use 'em.
:lol: just have some fun!
Old 07-20-2010, 05:35 PM

You do not have to buy everything at once :lol: Pick up a small package of Sulky stabilizer, if you are sewing on cotton, tearaway will be fine, or cut away. Use what ever thread you have on hand. Start out slowly, it's not a competition! Just relax and have fun. You can invest in this hobby just what you want. You have no one to please but yourself. Now quit worrying and just have fun :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 PM

I just buy my stabilizers when I have a Joann's 50% off coupon, they last for quite some time.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Not sure what you mean by Solvy regular stabilzer ? I use Solvy stabilzer wash away, tear away and cu away...

I went to ebay and bought thread..... CHEAP :lol:

Start slow and small until you see how much you like it :thumbup:
Old 07-20-2010, 06:33 PM

I've used interfacing, which I think might be what is meant by "regular", and it works but is really, really dusty for some reason.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I started with regular thread. After a while if I wanted special thread I would get it. Regular thread works in mine.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 AM

Nancysnotions.com has a special on Madeira thread for embroidery. The Aerofil is regular $53.10 on sale for $l7.99 and Rayon regular $65.70 on sale for $l7.99. Each plastic container has l8 spools of thread with 220 yards of thread. This is enough to get started without breaking the bank and have a good selection of great colors. Hope this helps.
doglover.
N
Originally Posted by dar627742
as you probably know,i ordered a brother se350 by mistake[mine,of course!] while reading on the board i caught a thread that made the comment'don't forget to allow $100.00-$200.00 for thread stablizers etc almost went into stickershock !!!!! then,whilelooking thru machine embr.notions etc isaw solvy reg.stablizers.i have TONS of that type of stablizers,etc. PLEASE tell me that i can use at least some of the things i already have,& don't have to go out &spen
d another fortune just tostart !
also a mention of a larger hoop available for this machine.......does anyone have info on that,or have they bought one,& how do they like it? any help at all will be SOappreciated!!!!!dar
Old 07-21-2010, 03:40 AM

Redwork does not need stablizer if you spray starch the fabric before you embroider it.
Also I have been known to use freezer paper when I have run out of stablizer. Also don't tell the embroider police.
Just have fun. You are doing this for yourself.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:45 AM

Try Ebay.
I bought from Radiantthreads the most beautiful variegated thread. I also got my bobbin thread through them once.

I don't use Sulky stabilizers since they are too expensive... I get a lot of my stabilizers online or at Walmart. Walmart has a great washaway that is great for lace.

I'm sorry - I believe I was the one that told you about that but it's true... the set up costs to start can be expensive. Try to find things online. Discountembroicerysupply also has some great deals as well. I get my needles through them. You will need to change your needle every few hours of use and it can add up if you are buying them from a local store even at 50% off.