Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine getting warm >

machine getting warm

machine getting warm

Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 PM

Default machine getting warm

I have a Janome 8900qcp. A couple of times I have noticed the area to the left of the feed dogs getting warm to the touch and the machine emits a plastic smell. I clean out the lint from as much as I can reach with the brush. The last time it did this I had done a fair amount of stitching at a very slow speed going around curves and such and don't know if this contributed to it. No other part of the machine gets warm and the smell is definitely coming from that area. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-15-2015, 03:41 AM

No I personally haven't, but I would have it looked into asap as 'a stitch in time saves 9' and you could prevent a fire or electrical fire that could take out your sewing machine or even worse...Maybe google the description and see what comes up..
Old 01-15-2015, 04:08 AM

I agree with Tony C. Unless you want to buy a new machine, I would leave it unplugged and not use it until a professional has looked it over. It could be something simple now, but if the smell continues and you keep using it, you could fry the whole unit.

Years ago, a mixer I had did a similar thing. It was the motor and when it really started smoking, it was too late. I didn't even try to have it fixed, because I knew the motor would cost more than a new mixer.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I certainly would take it in for servicing. I would also caution everyone to have their sewing machine plugged into a surge protector.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:15 AM

I am going to take my 8900 in (got it in Dec.) as it keeps saying "Stop for safety purposes" and then won't stitch for a few seconds. I then keep going. But there is definitely something wrong.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:49 AM

I have a 6600, never had anything like this happen but I think you're right to be concerned. I'd take it in to the shop...you don't want to risk a fire!! Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but much better to be safe than sorry.