Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine or Hand applique, which do you use most for embellishment? >

Machine or Hand applique, which do you use most for embellishment?

Machine or Hand applique, which do you use most for embellishment?

Old 06-01-2013, 03:04 PM

Default Machine or Hand applique, which do you use most for embellishment?

Would like to learn to appliqué to add another dimension to my quilting. Which do you use most and if there is a reason you prefer one over the other I would so appreciate hearing why. Many thanks!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:43 PM

I'm new at applique (of any kind), having only worked both machine and hand a few times. Just today I did a practice piece of needle turn and I can only say that I need to do more practice pieces

I've done machine applique the following ways:

Raw edge - raw finish - machine finished the edges with a straight stitch using clear poly thread. This was by far the easiest applique method I've done but to my eye is limited to quilts that don't demand a crisp finished look. I used it on a landscape quilt and on a quilt where the applique piece was a life size black silhouette of a standing woman. The technique was perfect for the landscape quilt (but bear in mind that if you have a lot of small pieces your quilt will be quite heavy with all the extra thread), and the only reason I used it for the silhouette was in the interest of time. The landscape quilt the pieces were stuck to a muslin foundation with a glue stick and once I was happy with the placement I sewed the edges. The silhouette I used a fusible web to adhere the applique to the quilt top.

Raw edge - clean finish - the applique piece was adhered to the block with a fusible web then I machine satin stitched the edges for a cleaner finish. Very time consuming, and a lot of a thread. It takes patience and a good control of machine speed and hand coordination to maneuver the piece correctly on curves and points. It's a clean finish look and great for modern type quilts.

Raw edge - blanket stitch finish - the applique was adhered to the quilt top by machine with a very small straight stitch around the edge with a clear poly thread. I then finished the edge with a blanket stitch by hand. It's a neat "primitive" look. In terms of ease ... this was as easy as the raw edge raw finish, but extra time was spent with the hand sewn blanket stitch to finish the edge.

And of course my practice with needle turn applique which to me is the hardest, and most time consuming ... but is by far the PRETTIEST. I am determined to master this art ... perhaps check back with me in a decade or so One bonus to needle turn is that you can take it anywhere.

The needle turn I tried tonight is a bit different. If you've seen the "Egyptian tent makers" technique of quilting, this is what I was trying to make and transfer the applique design. You fold paper in half diagonally, then again diagonally then draw a design on it. Then you needle punch the design through all 4 layers of paper. Unfold the paper and now you have a symmetrical design. Place the design over your fabric base and sprinkle baby power on it and rub into the holes (I was using a black base). This will transfer the design to the base. I then did the same with the fabric I was going to applique and cut it with a seam allowance. I then used the tracings on the applique fabric as a guide to how much fabric to turn, and the tracings on the black fabric as to where to place it. As I said, my needle work need practice. One problem I ran into is that with repeated handling I was losing my baby powder tracings. I think the next time I practice immediately after the baby power I will re-trace each piece over the baby power with some kind of pencil. The reason I wanted to practice this method is that I wanted a block with a applique border on it that was a narrow band of fabric in a symmetrical celtic type design, the area inside I want to fill with a floral applique. Practice ... practice ... practice.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:29 PM

Tried both. Hands down, strongly prefer needle turn hand appliqué. Easier to control and do, love the look. Very relaxing and can do anywhere. No need to buy stabilizers or tons of different thread colors. I have silk thread already in lots of different colors and use it for binding and needle turn appliqué. I bought nancy chongs video on needle turn appliqué. It is called two color qpplique quilts or something like that. I have watched that video about 10x. It is excellent. I used to avoid appliqué bc I was afraid to try and thought it looked too hard. Now I love it.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

I do 'Tons' of applique- hand and machine- each has it's place; when I am appliqueing on a kids quilt, or quilt that I know will be used/laundered a lot I tend to do machine applique- fusible added to back of pieces, fused in place, machine stitched down- when I am working on a project that is more hand work- English paper piecing, needle turn applique, a project that is not as (apt) to take the beating of a kids quilt/utility (used every day laundered regularly) or I just think hand applique will look better than fusible/machine...it's just a personal choice- either way are great techniques and you should learn both- each has it's place- I have made a few quilts that actually have both- some elements were fused and machine stitched, some were added by hand- I do a lot of English paper piecing and have made quilts where the paper pieced elements were hand appliqued onto the background- then machine applique was added...each quilt is an individual- and deserves it's personal consideration. and what you like the look of or think is going to add that special touch is a personal choice too....learn both ways & do what you enjoy