Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine maintenance >

Machine maintenance

Machine maintenance

Old 11-01-2012, 03:35 PM

Default Machine maintenance

I try to clean my machine well after each project, but I have never taken it back to the dealer for a better clean and tune up. I bought it last April, so it is well over a year old. My dealer isn't real close. Is it worth the trip? Do you usually have to leave the machine for a few days to get this done? I have a Pfaff Expression 2.0 and I love it. I sure don't want to mistreat it by not providing needed service.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:42 PM

In general I try to take my little Kenmore in once a year for a check-up, kind of like my cats and my dog. I use my machine a lot, so I try to clean out the fluff in her innards every other bobbin change. I recently did a really thorough oiling -- and it made a big big difference, since I've used it a ton since my last annual check-up! My mechanic is an employee of my LQS, so is not brand specific like a dealership might be. My machine is at least 25 years old (my Mum gave it to me when she stopped using it) and runs like a charm (now that I've oiled it...)

Alison
Old 11-01-2012, 04:17 PM

I plan on taking mine in for check up it has been way too long I think 7 years.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM

I usually run my machines until they die, but I buy the cheap $99 machines..The one I am using right now is about 7 years old and still going..probably would cost me!! more to service it than I paid for it
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM

yes because they clean in areas of your sewing machine that you can't reach. Since you machine is expensive think of it like a car, you can change the oil yourself but is that a full car tune up if you have yearly maintenance versus someone who didn't whose machine do you think will last longer. My espire always came back lint free on all parts when I got it back, not just the bobbin case where I can reach. Also things wear out on a machine causing them to malfunction, a good servicing should spot this before you cause more damage to you machine. I service my cheapie machines too and they have lasted me for years, plastic parts and all, and I have had no problems since I keep all my machines in tip top condition
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM

I think the comment that sewing machines are like cars is a good one. Do you take your car in for a check-up? I don't. I change my oil and such but never take the car in unless it gives me problems. The car has 150,000 miles on it and is going strong. My little machine is a cheapie Brother from Walmart. It is ages old and has made several quilts, Halloween costumes, prom dress and patched a zillion pairs of jeans. I clean it, but it has never been "serviced".

I think you have to do what you feel safe with and what you can afford.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
I think the comment that sewing machines are like cars is a good one. Do you take your car in for a check-up?
Yes I do! Cars have certain service checkpoints based on mileage. Parts need replacement before the car become unsafe to drive and becomes a hazard. Most cars, similar to sewing machines have warranties that without proper servicing are VOID. Our cars go in for service regularly. As do my machines. And I don't trust my life to my sewing machine.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 PM

We maintain our vintage machines ourselves. But I take my Bernina's in for a yearly checkup. Even if you don't use them much grease gets old and needs wiped out and refreshed. I like to piece on the vintage machines but I wouldn't trade my Bernina 640 for attaching binding and some other things.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina 1230, and it must be ten years at least since I took it in for cleaning/oiling. The last time I took it in I noticed that the tech had not changed the tension from my setting to the factory default setting, which made me wonder if he actually checked anything. The machine was pretty clean, was not giving me problems, yet it cost well over $100 for what might have been nothing. That's when I decided to simply be consistent about cleaning and oiling the bobbin shuttle race (new machines don't have all those oil points that are on vintage machines). The machine has not given me a single problem in these ten years, which means I've saved over $1,000.

Honestly, I think the yearly maintenance thing is really unnecessary unless perhaps you use your machine professionally and sew on it for 8 hours a day.

Oh, and my car has over 250,000 miles on it. Runs like a top.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by kimg View Post
I try to clean my machine well after each project, but I have never taken it back to the dealer for a better clean and tune up. I bought it last April, so it is well over a year old. My dealer isn't real close. Is it worth the trip? Do you usually have to leave the machine for a few days to get this done? I have a Pfaff Expression 2.0 and I love it. I sure don't want to mistreat it by not providing needed service.
You'll get lots of different opinions on whether it is necessary to take your machine in for a cleaning or not. In the end you'll know what seems best for you.

I have a Pfaff expression 4.0 and an older Pfaff 7530. I take my 4.0 in for maintenance once a year and use the 7530 for back up. I get the 7530 maintained about every 3 years because I don't use it as much as the 4.0.

I clean my bobbin area and feed dogs every time I change a bobbin . If you think about all the fluff that you clean out of it in the areas you can reach, imagine all those places that we can't get at and how much stuff may accumulate in a year's time. They also check the tension and timing and make sure all the bells and whistles are doing what they are supposed to.

Check with your dealer to see if they will let you make an appointment for same day service if you have to go some distance. I used to do this when I lived an hour away from the dealer. If he knew I was coming in, he would make sure my machine was ready in a few hours.

I spent a fair bit on these Pfaffs, I sew almost every day, so I want to keep them in good running order.