Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine needles for t-shirt quilts >

Machine needles for t-shirt quilts

Machine needles for t-shirt quilts

Old 12-11-2014, 08:14 AM

Default Machine needles for t-shirt quilts

I am working on some t-shirt blankets and I'm having trouble with what needle to use. My machine is making the "kerchunk" noise. It's not the machine because it's fine on other fabric. I've tried universal and knit needles in different sizes. Have any of you had a similar issue or experience with t-shirt quilts? What did you use?
Old 12-11-2014, 08:30 AM
sap

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
I am working on some t-shirt blankets and I'm having trouble with what needle to use. My machine is making the "kerchunk" noise. It's not the machine because it's fine on other fabric. I've tried universal and knit needles in different sizes. Have any of you had a similar issue or experience with t-shirt quilts? What did you use?
the kind I have in the machine. Try a sharp, one that pierces the fabric easily.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

You didn't mention what size you are currently using. I would try either a sharp or a 16 size denim. It just might be that your machine doesn't like the thickness of what you are working on.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Oh, I'm sure it's the thickness...I think I have a 14 in there right now, I'll have to try a 16 if I have one. I also have some microtex sharps that I had forgotten about. Thanks sap & Maniac for your suggestions!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Is it throughout the quilt or just over the logos? Avoid the logos if you only hear it there. Otherwise, I agree with trying denim needles. SuziSew, I see you're from Middlebury. I was just lamenting last night how much I miss Yoder's and Lolly's now that I've moved to Ohio!! I'm spoiled by those two stores. They were huge, and there's nothing like them here!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:54 AM

cindi, I know those are two great shops! being in "Amish" country there are many smaller shops too not to mention a bunch more toward Elkhart and South Bend I just moved to Middlebury last year and I'm about 2-3 blocks from one shop...don't even have to drive! I just don't have enough money to buy all I want!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:01 AM

I was having a problem with that too and switched to the heavy duty jeans needles. That seemed to have helped.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:00 PM

I found that using a 14 embroidery needle made a huge difference----I also found that placing a piece of wax paper over the logo cut down on the drag and no more broken thread. It really does work,