Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine opinions

My dh is giving me some money after taxes come back to get myself a new machine. I was wondering what types of machines you love, what you hate, and what are the necessary features for my new little love?! He's giving me about $2000, but I'd only like to spend about $800 to $1200 if that...
    Thanks.

Blog Entries
    You can get some really nice Brother machines for that amount of money. Even get a low end embroidery/sewing for your higher range figure. Janome probably has something quite nice in that rnge also. I have had both and have been very satisfied. I have a brother 900D now.

base your decision on a machine which you can get serviced where you live!
    you should go out and 'test-drive' as many machines as you are able to...find a reputable sewing machine dealer who offers owners classes, and service and purchase from them...if you spend $2000 on a machine you never get to learn to use...or can not get worked on or any tech support it becomes a very expensive paper weight. you should not spend that kind of money without at least trying out what you are getting.

Blog Entries
    Are you looking for a brand new machine? Because I'm thinking you could get a really nice used Bernina or Pfaff for that amount of money.

Blog Entries
    viking

I would go to my local Viking dealer. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a machine, I want classes and service near by. Viking is the only "big name" machine by a dealer in my area, so that's where I'd go!

LOVE my Bernina Patchwork Edition 140 for 11 years never stopped or given me a days trouble. Not an embroidery but that is not my interest.

Blog Entries
    I'm partial to Janome. I paid about $1400 for my 6600 last year (correction-dh paid it).

I like janome. A 6300 has the wide throat plate for easier machine quilting. If you have a dealer in the area check it out. It runs about $1,000. Janome is known to be very rugged and lasts a long time.

I LOVE my Bernina. Doubt I'll ever buy anything else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast