Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting 101 >

Machine quilting 101

Machine quilting 101

Old 07-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Pati-in Phx
Thanks for reminding me about the presser foot pressure adjustment screw. The machine I learned on had it and I've missed it on the newer machines.
In fact, I think that may be why I got so frustrated working on a wall hanging for #5 son back when he was in HS. The top fabric kept getting pushed ahead of the bottom and it came out all wonky several times. Finally got it so it wasn't too bad.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 AM

When my 32 yr old son was about 2 I made him a simple blue & white pieced quilt, twin size & did all of it -including stitch in the ditch quilting on my regular machine with a regular foot. It was all I had & never dreamed of sewing machines that do so, so much!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Pati-in Phx
Thanks for reminding me about the presser foot pressure adjustment screw. The machine I learned on had it and I've missed it on the newer machines.
In fact, I think that may be why I got so frustrated working on a wall hanging for #5 son back when he was in HS. The top fabric kept getting pushed ahead of the bottom and it came out all wonky several times. Finally got it so it wasn't too bad.
It is sort of strange. For a while a lot of machines had what was supposed to be "automatic pressure foot adjustment", which was a joke. I guess a lot of people complained because most of the machines today do have a way to adjust pressure foot pressure. It is one of the things I check for when buying a machine..... after one experience with the other. (Didn't even think that a company would produce a machine with no way to manually override the "pre-set" pressure. sigh)
A lot of the electronic/computer machines may have a special "function" to set pressure, but most of the "good" machines do have the adjustment capability.

Pati, in Phx