Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting paper >

machine quilting paper

machine quilting paper

Old 04-26-2015, 05:11 AM

Default machine quilting paper

Just found a new site quiltingmadeeasy.com that has quilting paper for borders/blocks. Has anyone used this site and if you have used this type of paper, what are your experiences with it? I have used stencils before but was wondering if the paper would be easier to use and worth the expense? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:21 AM

You can buy just the Gold paper at a LQS. I've used the plain. I traced the designs I wanted and pinned the paper down. FMQ around the design. Works pretty well. I don't care for all over, so I mix and match.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHXoitox02E
Old 04-26-2015, 06:03 AM

When I was starting out, it was a good way to hone my skills. I quiltingmadeeasy paper is heavier than Gold paper, but it also has a self-stick edging. Personally, I tire of ripping the paper off after the quilting is done :-(
Old 04-26-2015, 06:11 AM

I hand quilt and trace my designs on wash away stabilizer tha machine embroidery users use. It is super easy to stitch through and washes completely out. I usually buy a bolt at a time wher it is on sale or i have a good coupon. It comes on a bolt in the stabelizer section but you don't need to purchase the entire bolt. I trace my design on the stabelizer then pin it to my quilt top and stitch away. I have been using this method for years and have never had it rip on me and have done various sizes of quilts.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

There have been other companies that have had border designs on a roll of paper. If a design can not be marked on a quilt or the backing, I just trace the design onto some tracing paper, quilt it and then carefully remove the tracing paper. You buy a stencil and you can use if for many years. If you by designs on paper and use it for a one time usage.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

I use this printed border paper a lot. I like it because I can apply it to the border and stitch, no tracing on a big quilt which is a hassle. And no marks to remove after I'm done. I went to a workshop and this paper was used to add a quilted two color decorations in re make a sweatshirt into a jacket. The same technique would work on a quilt border too. Very impressive looking. I haven't had any problem removing the paper but usually just remove the bigger pieces and wash the quilt. The small bits wash away. Stencils are too much hassle for me. I can put this paper on and start quilting.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:54 AM

I have thought about getting some of this paper just for the spacing aspect. Whenever i do borders my spacing is usually not just right with some stencils when you need to move it for the next section. With the paper it is all one and you can see the full design.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by judykay View Post
I hand quilt and trace my designs on wash away stabilizer tha machine embroidery users use. It is super easy to stitch through and washes completely out. I usually buy a bolt at a time wher it is on sale or i have a good coupon. It comes on a bolt in the stabelizer section but you don't need to purchase the entire bolt. I trace my design on the stabelizer then pin it to my quilt top and stitch away. I have been using this method for years and have never had it rip on me and have done various sizes of quilts.
Would you mind telling us what the name of the stabilizer and who makes it? I started researching them yesterday, but got distracted and did not finish. I saw one that was washaway, but it said it left fibers behind. Would hate to find out I used the wrong one.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 PM

It's called a wash away stabilizer. All mfg have their own names for it. It does wash away. OESD, Babylock, Sulky, all have it under a wash away label. I have OESD.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
Would you mind telling us what the name of the stabilizer and who makes it? I started researching them yesterday, but got distracted and did not finish. I saw one that was washaway, but it said it left fibers behind. Would hate to find out I used the wrong one.
The one i use is by Pellon, the number on the end of the bolt is 541. It is called Embroidery interfacing - wash away. I get it at Joanns, make sure you get the woven kind and not the plastic one if you are using it for hand stitching. The plastic one is ok for machine but not hand. Both wash completely out.

The