Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting Question >

Machine Quilting Question

Machine Quilting Question

Old 04-13-2012, 05:01 AM

Default Machine Quilting Question

I guess this question applies to all machine quilting.

When a quilter states they quilt freehand does this mean they don't even have a pattern marked on the quilt? I can't imagine anyone being able to get the beautiful designs so perfect without having the quilt marked.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 AM

I think it applies to the way you move the quilt sandwich around. http://www.ehow.com/how_5009556_free...ine-quilt.html

I was told "if you can draw it on paper, you can do it on the machine". That hasn't really worked well for me but then I don't consider myself very artistic!
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 AM

Do you mean free motion? With free motion quilting you follow designs that have been developed. I just started FMQ recently and don't know the names of the designs but there are many. From what I've learned you don't mark anything. You can lay out your pattern on graph paper to follow the guidelines.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:35 AM

You can check out feline fanatic's post here to garner some insight: http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post5135819

Shari
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lsb142 View Post
I guess this question applies to all machine quilting.

When a quilter states they quilt freehand does this mean they don't even have a pattern marked on the quilt? I can't imagine anyone being able to get the beautiful designs so perfect without having the quilt marked.
It depends on the quilter, mine are totally freehand---I have not marked any of my quilts so far.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

That's a good question. I think it means that they don't mark out the quilt design before they quilt it but make up the design as they go. Some quilter's do variations of this with marking only the feather spines and doing the rest freehand. Some mark dividing or row lines and quilt freehand between them (Leah Day style) I am sure there are as many methods or variations as there are quilters.