Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting >

machine quilting

machine quilting

Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 AM

I had sent a question back a few weeks ago regardng learning machine quilting and I did some samples on my old sewing machine which generated what we call eyelashes on the back. A few of you explained what the problem could have been. I've since bought a new sewing machine that is easier to use and attempted once again to FMQ which was a better experience but on the back half of it was perfect but a portion of it had those eyelashes. I don't remember what was told to me back then and I couldn't find the thread so I'm asking again what would cause the eyelashes in back? I was quilting my outer border with just some back and forth pattern since still learning. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 AM

You can search your old posts by clicking on "My Profile" on the top, then clicking on "List" from the Number of topics created: 01 (list).

If you didn't create the topic, click on "List" from Number of messages posted: 0001 (list)

These options will bring up anything you have posted or answered on the board.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:04 AM

It probably was the tension on the top thread. If you 1) don't thread the top thread with pressure foot UP then the thread sits on top of the tension disks instead of between them. 2) you forgot to put your foot in the FMQ position or in the down position. This closes the tension disks around your thread.

Check these out.... and good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 AM

A lot of it has to do with the speed of you moving the quilt thru the machine and speed of the machine itself. I slow the machine down a little and try not to move the quilt too fast. It will get better with practice. I hardly ever have eyelashes anymore.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:42 AM

thanks I will try these options. At least I'm getting better results with new machine then I was with old.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 AM
saf

Thanks for asking this question. I was just struggling with the same problem.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:20 AM

For me its a slow and steady thing. If you can adjust your machine speed - put med-low to med. The faster you go the faster you have to move that fabric. LOL Gets me really nervous and if slow I have time to think about what I want to do in advance then, so slower is best for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 AM
Power Poster

tension being a little off...moving the fabric faster than the machine is running...usually (for me anyway) because when doing curves i tend to (swoop) a bit faster and get those areas...i have to remind myself to slow down and stay consistant with the swoops.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:42 AM

For me, it's usually user error, LOL. I too have to set my machine on a slower speed and really strive to be consistent with moving my fabric, especially when stitching curves.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:49 AM

You've all been a great help. thank you