Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting thread >

Machine quilting thread

Machine quilting thread

Old 12-06-2014, 06:32 AM

Default Machine quilting thread

Hello all! I am in a bind. I did not plan ahead and realized two days ago I hadn't ordered yhread to machine quilt a quilt I'm making for Christmas. I normally use aurifil for the piecing and top or isacord. I'm new to quilting anyway. I ran to jo Anns and bought the cotton gutterman. Is this ok to use? I have a local quilt store that sells mettler but fell mettler is expensive (I had a coupon ) will this be ok or any other suggestions? Thanks!!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:34 AM

Most people will tell you to test it in your machine on a test fabric with the batting. If it works, go for it.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 AM

I've used Gutterman and liked it, it's a good quality thread. But Barb is absolutely correct ... sew on scraps first!!

Note ... even if I am going to use a thread I am used to using to quilt something, I still will make test sandwiches with the same fabric (at least on the top - to check if I like the color), same batting (important!), same thread, same needle, and same motif that I plan on quilting ... whether I am quilting on a domestic or a long arm (for the long arm I simply place a piece of scrap fabric along the outer edge of spare batting/backing).
Old 12-06-2014, 07:10 AM

I use Gutermann thread all the time for piecing and machine quilting and really like it. Sews without a lot of lint and rarely a thread breakage.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:18 AM

For me it depends on the machine I am using. My Bernina is pretty picky about thread, but my Singers that I used to use will sew with any thread. Keep testing them out on your machine and soon enough you will know what she likes and what she doesn't like.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

I buy what I can for machine quilting. My 2662 and 401 don't seem to be too picky. I just find as long as I have the right needle, I'm good. Just gave my machines a good cleaning and the 401 a good maintenance (oil/lube). DH stopped by JoAnn's for some upholstery to fix back seat of his truck. Headed straight for the 401 did what he needed to do. When he was finished, he gave it a pat and said "Good girl". He also picked up the thread for the machine to use set the cam to use. He just did it like a pro. He picked up extra needles. Now I have about 11 packs of needles for the 401 and the 2662. He loves those machine but the 401 is his favorite.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:57 AM

Well I misread your first line and thought you had more problems than type of thread. I thought you had written that you were "blind" rather than in a "bind." Glad you can see. Hope the thread works well for you!
Old 12-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

I have a Bernina so I use Mettler most the time but have used Gutterman when pressed for time and it seems to work OK. You might want to make a test sandwich and test out the thread first on your machine. A small tension adjustment might be required.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:48 PM

Thanks everyone!! I will put a test sand which together and see what happens!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:48 AM

All the best!