Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine qulting in sections

Just curious to see if anyone here has used Marti Michell's book _Machine Quilting in Sections_ to quilt a large quilt on their home machine. I spent the morning getting my backing and batting cut to fit the 4 sections for an 82x82 quilt (e.g. 49x49, 2- 33x49, 33x33). BTW, it's a mystery quilt that I did at my sewing center w/ rather large blocks - i.e., it's my guinea pig and not a quilt that I've spent a lot of time on.

I have read the tutorial on the board about quilting in sections, but haven't yet got a clear idea of how you join the sections together into a whole

Blog Entries
    I wanted to try that on the one I am quilting now but I chickened out. This post is good: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17329-1.htm
    Another good one: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-18357-1.htm
    There are lots posted under "fun and done". Let us know how it works for you. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I did one in two sections -- not a really BIG one-- just to see how it worked. I liked the process; it didn't seem too difficult at all once I understood it.

As a newbie, I didn't think to search the board - DUH! I have a Fun & Done project going, too, where you quilt the blocks as you construct them. In the book, Marti has several ways to connect the sections depending upon how the quilting is done. It takes a lot of planning :-).

Blog Entries
    I bought the book a while back, but haven't tried it yet. I do plan to. The quilt I had in mind at the time was the french braid in my avatar. I was concerned it might have an effect with the bias since it wasn't laying as flat as I liked once pieced. So I also chickened out. :) I did try out samples of each method and liked the one where you sandwich it, then fold the top/back out of the way and cut off a section of the batting (to replace later). I liked the results best that way.

I used the tutorial on here to do this qulit as you go quilt. Needless to say I need lots of practice.

this is it.
    Name:  Attachment-95666.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  63.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    I used the tutorial on here to do this qulit as you go quilt. Needless to say I need lots of practice.
    I think your quilt is very pretty and well done, nice work :D

It seems that anything that will have a borders around the blocks should work great this way. I just started a 9 patch baby quilt and will be trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by seabolt22
    Seabolt, that's very pretty!

Where's the tutorial you used? I've found several....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast