Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine Recommendation Request

Help! I'm a brand new quilter. I just made my first quilt for my baby granddaughter (Tumbling Blocks) on my Jem Gold. I'd like to do more quilting and want a machine that will let me get fancier with the actual quilting (knee lift, drop feed dog, needle down, etc). I want something with room to grow but without a bunch of things that I'll never use. I also don't want to spend more than $500 (less is better :!: ). Any recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Carolyn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries
    No suggestion for the machine, but wanted to say the quilt looks great ! I love that pattern

Thanks! I copied it from a picture in a quilt book, so I didn't really use a pattern. A friend of mine told me how to piece it together with parallelograms and triangles in top to bottom strips. I appliqued it to the backing to avoid piecing into all of the ends. The trick was to figure out which fabrics were light medium and dark.

Beautiful quilt. Check out you LQS. They will have some suggestions for you.

Find a janome dealer or bernina dealer or any dealer and look at their trade ins and used machines. A machine that cost 6000 last year might only be 2500 this year. same goes for cheaper ones. Also if your just starting out check out Hancocks or Joann. I got a janome at hancocks for cheap. And it is smooth and quiet and has needle up down.

I recommend going and trying every machine in site at the stores near you, that way you will get a feel and know if they are user friendly to you, some may even have some good used ones,

BTW I love the quilt

Blog Entries
    For all the bells and whistle for that price I'd check out Kenmore machines. Sears will let you test sew, I've test sewed every model they have. They are super nice.

Gosh, you're a natural. Great job on the quilt and I can't wait to see what you do next.

As far as the machine, do lots of research and look at the trade-ins dealers have to offer. That can really lower the price. Good luck and let us know what you end up with! :D :D

When you go to test sew machines, take several pairs (about 8 inch square will do) of your own fabric to test with, that are the type you plan to sew. A lot of dealers show sewing on a stiff piece of buchram-type material that does nothing to show what you really want to sew.

Take several pairs into each shop. On the squares, sew a few rows of stitches, straight and decorative stitches you think you will use. Then sew a pair together using the machine's 1/4 inch seam foot or mark on the baseplate.

As soon as you are back in your car, mark on your test patches with a permanent marker, the brand/model of machine, and any other info you liked or disliked about the machine, and the price.

When you get home, press and measure your piece to check the (accurate) 1/4 inch seam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast