Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine sewn binding... >

Machine sewn binding...

Machine sewn binding...

Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Emmy Sue View Post
When making charity quilts I sew the binding on the back and then use a small zig-zag on the front of the quilts.
I have often wondered why charity quilts are treated different from the others we do.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:27 AM

I am always on the lookout for alternative methods of attaching binding. I do think hand sewn on back looks the best, but I too loathe taking the time to do that. I've come up with what I call my raggedy binding using flannel, which is on my blog, and I've also found this approach, which I haven't tried yet:

https://ukcitycrafter.wordpress.com/...sible-binding/
Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 AM

When I make baby quilts I sew the binding to the back and use a fancy stitch to sew it down on the front.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I use 2.25" strips, and sew it down to the back first. Then on the front, I use whatever stitch appeals to me, and sew away! No hand stitching here....due to carpal tunnel and that I want my quilts done in this lifetime!
Old 03-15-2016, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by lillybeck View Post
I have often wondered why charity quilts are treated different from the others we do.
Charity quilts often go to institutions and get rougher handling. Hand sewn bindings wouldn't last long in a commercial washer. I've even seen an information sheet from one charity declaring that the bindings must be machine sewn.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 AM

I machine sew most of my bindings. I bow to those who hand sew theirs, I do not have the patience! I sew the binding on the back and machine stitch from the front. The trick is to be very careful with the turning and pinning so you know they match perfectly. I often use some form of decorative stitch. One a child's quilt, I may just use a zigzag. Sometimes I use a tight blanket stitch but most of the time I find a decorative stitch that matches to top. This can hide a 'shaky' spot. All my imperfections shine huge when I use a straight stitch to machine bind a quilt!
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM

I use this method for binding. Great tutorial. The flang gives my quilts an extra pop

http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tues...c-binding.html
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 AM

I never liked the look of machine binding the first few times I tried it. So now I just use the machine to sew it to the back, bring it over to the front , pin it and hand sew it. Doing it this way, I can spend time with my husband and still sew. We usually watch a movie if I have hand sewing to do.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I always sew to the back, flip it to the front and do the stitch-stitch-zig stich to attach it. That way the not so good parts are on the back but the front looks good. I just hand sewed a binding for a quilt I put in a show. I decided I'm not doing that anymore!
I use this BACK TO FRONT method as well. I use different decorative stitches when I sew the binding onto the front. It makes a beautiful binding and takes much less time. It is also more durable then a hand stitched binding.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

For charity quilts I machine sew on the back, fold to the front and sew binding down. If I were doing other quilts I would hand sew on the back.
For charity quilts I think machine sewn is better and more important to make more quilts. I don't know who will get them or how they will care for them.