Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine sewn binding... >

Machine sewn binding...

Machine sewn binding...

Old 03-16-2016, 06:29 AM

Check out the videos on the Martelli binding system. I can bind a baby quilt in 1 hour.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:55 AM

I do all my quilts this way now. I love the flange binding.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
The only machine sewn binding I like is from Charimah's QB tutorial Machine Binding with Flange. If you match the thread that you sew along the flange to the backing fabric, it is fairly inconspicuous.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 PM

I use the Martelli binding system. Sew the binding to the front, flip it to the back, use the binding tool and the STID foot to stitch from the front ditch. Works like a charm. I get very even binding that looks nice on the front and the back and is very secure for quilts that will be washed etc. I don't know that it would pass muster for a competition, but for bed quilts, lap quilts, home dec wall hangings, I think it looks very nice.

Is there a tutorial out there on the method someone mentioned about putting the binding on from the back and then using your machine's decorative stitches to sew it on the front? That sounds interesting. How does it look on the back?

Rob
Old 03-17-2016, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Emmy Sue View Post
When making charity quilts I sew the binding on the back and then use a small zig-zag on the front of the quilts.
This is how I do it, most of my quilts are for children so I think think that makes them more child proof & washable. I usually use the rick rack stitch, like a zig zag but goes over itself a couple of times. I like my quilts to be used, played with, go on picnics & put on the ground, etc, let them be used til they fall apart, that makes me happy.