Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Snobbery? >

Machine Snobbery?

Machine Snobbery?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
So remember, there are two kinds of snobs and I am reading about the second kind right here right now.
I completely agree! I have two Bernina's, and although neither is new or top-of-the-line, I've felt guilty for having them! The first I bought with an inheritance after my dad passed; that was over 15 years ago and I still LOVE it. It's been knocked onto a concrete floor (by a cat!) and absolutely no damage done. It was the only "splurge" I made for myself with the money I received.

The problem is that the machine is fairly heavy, so not easy to take to classes/retreats/sew-in's. So a few years ago, I started looking for a smaller, lighter machine. After a bit of research, I bought a Janome Gem Gold. Hated it as it's not computerized - can't adjust stitch length to what I would like. So I sold it and bought a Janome Jem Platinum. Although I liked it, I still wasn't happy - so finally found a used Bernina Activa, which I like almost as well as my original 153QE.

I doubt I'll ever buy another machine. Yes, I spent more than many folks can/do. But we don't go out much, no smoking, drinking, etc. We all have to decide what how much discretionary money we have, and what we will do with it. I know people who think nothing of eating out three times a week, going to the mall for a new outfit or shoes on a regular basis, or buying a carton of cigarettes every week. To me, that's just wasted money - enjoyed for a small amount of time and gone. The health risks associated with smoking are a whole other subject...
Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 PM

I think the attitude in most people boils down to one of 3 main factors - #1- jealousy over something they cannot afford/cannot justify buying for themselves, #2 - worries that they've overspent on their own machine, and lastly for this woman in particular #3 - they want to sell you something.

I don't let snobs bother me. I'm snobby about some things myself (like I'd never wear my pajamas to the grocery store like so many people do!) so I know my snobbery is about ME, not anybody else. Snobbery is a reflection of the snob's values and issues - not yours!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 PM

I love my Brother SE350 sewing and embroidery machine. I bought it thru Wal Mart and it is really a nice machine. I think you should use what you like I have heard a lot of people say they have problems with their expensive machines. I also have a White Quilting machine I think I bought at Joanne's which I love and I also have a Singer/Singer/Sewing that does heavyweight jeans great. I think if someone has the $$ and wants to have the big name like clothes they should have it but it's not to say other machines are not as good. Happy sewing/quilting/embroidery. Sue
Old 07-06-2012, 05:54 PM

I bought mine on the internet. I have Singers and most dealers put them down. Everything I learned i pretty much taught myself. It isn't that hard. Keep manual hand and use the internet. It is a wealth of information.
Snownannie
Old 07-07-2012, 03:48 AM

I think its funny that its ok to sell your old machine on ebay so you can buy a new one from them but they don't like you buying a machine on ebay. My dealer was great when I got my used designer 1 machine. She gave me the lessons for free as long as I supported the store. Worked out for both of us. I have bought a SE and a Diamond since from her.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Shops are like people -- some good, some not so good. Making you feel uncomfortable is never acceptable in any setting. By the attitude the instructor displayed she has now lost you as a customer. I too have a Brother. I'm one of many who have economical machines and find that they get the job done --- like on the freeway, the BMV and the Honda all travel the same roads! Have fun with your quilting -- and enjoy your machine.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM

My goodness! This thread has been going for quite awhile, hasn't it? I have a Viking (actually 2...a Lily and a Rose). No, they are not top of the line at this point in time. Before that I had a Singer which had an unfortuate accident a very long time ago. As for why I do not have another Singer....to get to a store to purchase/service a Singer would take me at least 45 minutes. The LQS I go to sells Vikings...I can get there in 20 minutes.

I take my Lily to classes at the LQS all the time. None of the other 'students' are ever critical of my lower end machine. And, I do enjoy seeing the capabilities of their higher end machines. For one thing....a BOM class I am doing currently uses the decorative stitches on our machines. They have so many more options to choose from and I am quite envious! The LQS ladies know that one of these days, I will trade up...no pressure ever during a class.

Regarding classes: I do know that they offer classes to people who purchase the high end Vikings from their store to help them learn to use their machines. If you want to take one of those 'operator' classes and you did not purchase your machine from the store, then there is a fee. I see no problem with that, whatsoever. I know there are circumstances where one comes across a machine that is simply to good of a deal to pass up. However, I would always be cautious, if purchasing from ebay or craig's list.

Now, I will also say...I have had the opportunity to help some beginning 4Hers who have had relatively inexpensive machines. First, I agree...no parent is going to buy a higher end machine for an 8 year old who 'thinks' she wants to learn to sew. LOL But, I wish all the sewing machine manufacturers would put speed control and stop in needle down position on all their machines! Those 2 things would make helping these little gals so much easier! That is the only thing that has bothered me about their machines.