Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine stitching the binding questions >

machine stitching the binding questions

machine stitching the binding questions

Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM

I usually stitch the binding to the front and hand sew it to the back. I've read a couple of times now about people who machine stitch their binding on using the stitch-in-the-ditch foot.

Questions for those that do this: I was wondering ~ how are the corners done? Also, what do you do to be sure the back actually catches in the thread?

Old 09-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I too will be interested to read how people do this. I have always done what you have K. Machine the binding on the front and hand stitch on the back. I miter my corners.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 AM

Yes, I miter mine too, but can't visualize how it's done if you're stitching in the ditch.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM

I have stitched the binding on and I stitch to the back first then do a decorative stitch on the front, mitered corners and all.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:16 AM

Stitching by machine NEVER looks as pretty as hand-sewn - I don't care what anyone says... :D
Old 09-01-2009, 09:28 AM

I like the look of hand sewing the binding, but if the quilt will be dragged around and washed often, it last longer with machine sewn binding. When I do that, I too sew fron the back fold it to the front, and add a decorative stitch.

I make my mittered bindings with the Mittered Binding Tool. I used to fold them mittered, but since I found the tool I would not do it any other way.

Here is a link to it:

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...indMtrTool.php

Maria
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

Here's a link to a Youtube video that shows how to attach binding completely by machine "invisibly". (Think Harriet Hargrave's invisible machine applique.) She shows how to miter the corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw

In order to have machine binding look nice, I think you have to use either the invisible method above or use a decorative stitch. Basically you attach the binding to the back first, then turn to the front and finish with either invisible machine applique or a decorative stitch.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Banned

i do this all the time.

i attach my binding to the front the normal way to have mitered corners.

then i fold it over to the back and use elmers school glue to tack it in place on the back (sharon schamber method).

then i stitch in the ditch on the front. i don't use a stitch in the ditch foot. i do a much better job with an open toe foot because i can see everything.

i've tried the sewing to the back and doing the decorative stitch on the front and i don't care for that look at all.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM

I have been reluctant to finish quilts because I don't want to do the hand stitching of the binding. Lucky me, I found the Ricky Tims method on his video: Grand Finale. I just completed a UFO, my Fox wall hanging with this method yesterday, and I really enjoyed it.

On his video, Ricky demonstrates a step by step technique to create a binding, complete with a small piping, which is put onto the quilt completely by machine. The binding strips are sewn onto the quilt's BACK, one side at a time, and the corners are mitered. The binding is then rolled around to the front of the quilt, and stitch-in-the-ditch of the piping on the front of the quilt. NO hand stitching at all! It was fairly easy, but I could not have done it for the first time without the video.

This is a very general idea of how he does this, I recommend getting copy of his video, check out your library, or it is available for sale on the internet if you are interested in binding by machine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-10585.jpe   attachment-10592.jpe  
Old 09-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I've done some bindings completely by machine. i pin, pin, pin the corners though. and watch where I'm going. usually works.