Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine suggestions >

machine suggestions

machine suggestions

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM

Default machine suggestions

I was disappointed with the quilting on the 2 quilts I took in for long arm quilting. The quilting was so dense, the quilts, both baby, were almost stiff, not cuddly at all. I've decided to try machine quilting, but the throat on my Bernette 65 is very small. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sewing machine in the $500 range? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:23 PM

I am sure that you will get plenty of suggestions! I have a Janome Magnolia that is in that price range. I do quilt with that, but the throat isn't as big as I would like. I have quilted baby size quilts and the Quilts for Kids size quilts with my Magnolia without any problems.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:24 PM

I can't help with the machine but if you use a LA, just tell her you do not want your quilts over quilted. That is what I do as I, like you, do not want my quilts so over quilted that they are stiff. Maybe yours will soften up with washing.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

I've seen some so densely quilted especially, on lighter hued quilts, you almost don't see the pattern. I like limp quilts. Don't want them to practically stand on end.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

Over quilted quilts look pretty but feel like you are under cardboard. I like that type of quilting for display and show quilts and wallhangings. I have the Brother 1500 ps and it has a large throat space. They are easy to find for about $500. It is all mechanical and so easy to maintain.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Power Poster

One of the main reasons Communication is so important! And looking at the work of the quilter. If you tell your quilter you want large, loose quilting, not dense quilting that is what should happen. If you tell her -- do what ever you think...she will do what she enjoys doing... Possibly very dense quilting.
Any sewing machine that has a nice even straight stitch can be used for quilting. It just takes practice. Some wonderful quilters manage to quilt huge quilts on small machines.
Visit some local shops where you could possibly try out machines or take classes.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

I would go to a larger quilt shows because you will find plenty of dealers with their DSM all set up. It is like buying a car, you got to take them out for a spin. I would bring some small sandwich quilts to use when testing.

I have quilted queen size quilts (my Avatar) with my Bernina 1530 that has a 7" throat and had no problem at all. The trick is to have support to you left and in back of the machine. Then you quilt from the center out. Have fun shopping!
Old 02-22-2015, 03:11 PM

ckcowl is so right. If you told the LA'er what you wanted and the result was something different, then the blame is on the LA'er. But if you left the decision up to her, then you got what she would have done for herself. The ones that I have dealt with, have asked me questions, given me suggestions and their opinions, but ultimately I had to make the decision--which was detailed on the worksheet. If you decide to use the same LA'er (or another) ask more questions and be very specific.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM

$500 might get you a used Juki 98Q -- which is an awesome machine.

Some shops will let you use their longarms if you take their class. Here, it's $75 for the class, then $75 to use the machine for the whole day. Just a thought...

Or, get the walking foot for your Bernette, and do walking foot quilting instead of free-motion. I do my best quilting with my walking foot.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by julie View Post
I was disappointed with the quilting on the 2 quilts I took in for long arm quilting. The quilting was so dense, the quilts, both baby, were almost stiff, not cuddly at all. I've decided to try machine quilting, but the throat on my Bernette 65 is very small. Does anyone have any suggestions for a sewing machine in the $500 range? Thanks.
This is a little over the five hundred dollars you stated but it has gotten good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PQ1500.../dp/B003C29EL4