Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made my first quilted tote! >

Made my first quilted tote!

Made my first quilted tote!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Made my first quilted tote!

I have been wanting to make a purse/tote for some time now, but as I am pattern illiterate, I have procrastinated. I know some sewing basics, and I also knew it didn't look that hard if I kept it basic.

Learned a few things *not* to do on the next one, as well as a few adjustments I want to make. But overall, I am a happy camper with this! I eventually want to learn how to add an outside pocket (I have 8 pockets sewn in this one, just didn't have someone else's hand to hold the tote open so I could get a picture of it). I just did simple stippling on the quilting (though I don't think that shows up very well in this picture).

All it needs is a button and it will be finished!
Attached Thumbnails tote.jpg  
Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 PM

Very pretty
Old 07-13-2012, 10:02 PM
Power Poster

It is very pretty, and I love making totes too. You should be very proud.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 PM

That is pretty. I was in a funk awhile ago and started with a tote for my son's teacher, now I am back to quilting.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM

Very pretty. Now that you've made your first one the next one will be easier. Making them is addictive
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM

i too have a tote in my sights. Glad to see you tackled it. I love it! Mine probably wont look as good. lol
Old 07-18-2012, 04:06 PM

It looks great. I have a few books on making totes...had them for years...maybe I will made some in the future. I love totes and bags.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM

I'd say that you did a very good job! Each thing that we make is a learning experience in some way. Next time, you'll be able to add things. Nice work.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 PM

SWEET! I have been wanting to make myself a tote but I can't seem to wrap my head around the lining part. Yours looks great!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 PM

Thank you all - I was mostly happy with my first try. Tote is a little bit floppy, so won't be using it as my purse, but I'll find another use for it.

Pat - oh my gosh - addictive is right!!! I have become obsessed with them! Started another one tonight, a slightly different type. I am going to use fusible fleece this time, to add more body, and have added Pellon 808 I think it was, to my inside pockets, so they won't be floppy.

Toni - that has been my same problem!! I am pattern illiterate. I am very visual. I know the concept in sewing is right sides together, everything eventually gets turned the right way. I was a little confused with the lining, but I persisted and it worked out okay. This particular pattern had lots of pictures, and it made the most sense to me - http://mypatchwork.wordpress.com/201...cket-tutorial/

I added inside pockets (only pockets really do need some type of lining/interfacing so they aren't floppy), though it doesn't look like I bookmarked the webpage that I followed when doing that.

Also - take a look at this tutorial on the Quilting Board. Lots of pictures of also, very well explained: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...te-t80833.html

The one above is next on my list I think. Still keeping it simple until I get a little faster. On this one I want to add an outside pocket. Might even try adding some rick-rack or something like that.

The one I started tonight is this one: http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...t-purse_1.html I am adding inside pockets as well (got to have a lot of pockets!!). I'll have to post a picture when I am done (won't get a chance to work on it again until Friday ).