Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Made the wrong fabric choice

Better that you decided you didn't like it BEFORE you finished the top. I think it's a sign of confidence to be able to make a change after you've started a project. Good luck.

I think many of us have had that problem. There has been more than once I have made a tester block and hated how it looked and had to rethink the design. That fabric will be great for something else later.

Blog Entries
    I love the bright sides. As for trying the blocks, when I use blocks in my designs I think I will definitely do that in the future.

I'm just not good at imagining how all the fabrics will look when they come together so I change my mind mid quilt a lot. Needless to say, I have a large fabric stash due to multiple purchases on a regular basis.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    So funny I just posted about this!!! I'm experiencing that right now. But it's my backing fabric...I can't tell if I love it or hate it.
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I have done that myself in the past. Now, I try to go with my instinct and if I don't feel confident about the choice, I just don't buy until I am sure. I also try to take some of the pieces I already have or the pattern with me when I buy.

Well, like someone says, you learn more from your mistakes than when it all goes right. Now, at least, you have more information on what works and what doesn't for your next quilt fabric choices. And more fabric for your stash. I guarantee that you will find a project where the fabric you decided not to use will be perfect!

Really nice that you found better fabric choices online. I'm always a little skittish when it comes to buying online. I like to see how the fabric look and feel with my other fabric so I buy at our LQS.

Chalk it up as tuition, the price of learning. Education of any kind is never a failure. Put those fabrics beside others in your stash to see if you can use them somewhere, or make grocery bags, placemats, potholders, strip quilts, or something else. If you cut them small enough they will be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    This is also why it is strongly suggested that you make a sample block before cutting all the fabric. What looks great on a bolt might not look so wonderful in a block. Don't feel frustrated, this is all part of the quilting process!
    I should learn to follow this advice about making the sample block before cutting all the fabric. Not something I usually do and it has turned out a little ugly a time or two.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast