Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magazines >

Magazines

Magazines

Old 04-02-2014, 10:23 PM

Default Magazines

Would like opinions of quilting magazines. Which ones do you like? Which ones do you dislike? And why?

I bought the premiere issue of fresh quilts and I really like because other than patterns, it also has educational articles. Hopefully it will continue to be the same quality for future magazines.

Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM

I personally like American Patchwork quilting. They seem to have a good variety of patterns, easy to moderate.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:22 AM

It depends very much on taste and skill level. I would go out to a store and page through a number of different magazines. JoAnns and Hancock fabrics have quite a few. Walmart has fewer, but enough to start with.

I've liked Fons & Porter and Quiltmaker. They both have a pretty good mix of skill levels in their patterns. But now all the patterns are starting to look alike. My rule for buying a magazine is that it needed 3 patterns in an issue that I think I'd like to make. When you subscribe, you don't see that many per issue that you want to make, but the subscription price is cheaper.

I dislike the magazines that have what looks like a pattern I'd like, and then instead of being applique as I expected, it's buy this panel cut it up and sew it back together with a few borders. That might be ok for one of your first few quilts, but it's uninspired for a later quilt.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:34 AM

I love the new Block magazine from Missouri Star Quilt Company. It has no ads, just quilt pictures and patterns. It is more like a book than a magazine, nice! I quit subscribing to all other quilt magazines because I seldom found anything new in them, and they have gotten quite expensive. I used to subscribe to McCalls Quilting and Love of Quilting.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 AM

Are you interested in patterns? stories? inspiration? If you want easy to follow patterns, you can't beat the new Block magazine. It's just the way Quiltngolfer described. And, just like her, I quilt subscribing all other magazines. Maybe I'm just cheap, or want to save my money for fabric. I hit the magazine racks and leaf through current editions. If something catches my eye, I buy the magazine.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 AM

I have made the most out of "Quilts" but I like perusing Fons and Porter. Though, for some reason I have never made anything from there.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:10 AM

I don't currently subscribe to any.
I used to love QNM (quilters newsletter magazine) but the patterns it offers currently are like every other magazine IMHO.
I prefer the older issues (pre-2005) of magazines, generally speaking. That's before they started selling "easy" and "fast". Quiltmaker was one I liked years ago but I find it boring nowadays.
Individual issues are expensive so unless one really hits me or it's the Quilt Sampler (Top Shops), I don't buy them.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:50 AM

I love McCalls Quilting Mag. Lots of different skill level patterns, and styles.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 AM

I don't subscribe to any anymore, because in Canada, they charge a few dollars more for them than they do in the US. Even when our dollar was higher. I do subscribe to MSQ magazine, but electronically.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:27 AM

I've let ALL of mine lapse, because I couldn't even keep track of what I had subscribed to. I think I had subscriptions to about a dozen different quilt-related magazines at one point there.

I think I'm going to re-up only a couple of them - I love Quilting Arts (even though I don't even do art quilts, I find the work in there to be really beautiful & inspiring) and also Modern Quilts Unlimited. Maybe also the sister magazine; Machine Quilting Unlimited. (It's not JUST for longarm quilting)