Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Magic Bobbin Washers >

Magic Bobbin Washers

Magic Bobbin Washers

Old 10-09-2011, 12:42 PM

Guess I'm the odd man out. I wouldn't have a need for these, as I don't have a problem with FMQ backlashing or bird nesting on any of my 10 sewing machines.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
These small Teflon washers sit inside your bobbin case and help your bobbin thread glide smoothly and evenly while you quilt.
Here I was visualizing an itty, bitty washing machine just for bobbins - thinking my bobbins never get dirty.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM

My friend with an HQ 16 suggested them, but when I bought mine, the dealer knew nothing about them. And i must say I haven't had any issues (yet). But they were highly recommended!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
These small Teflon washers sit inside your bobbin case and help your bobbin thread glide smoothly and evenly while you quilt.
Here I was visualizing an itty, bitty washing machine just for bobbins - thinking my bobbins never get dirty.
Sadiemae - I was wondering why would you need to wash a bobbin also. Glad I'm not the only one that thought this way.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by grandmagingerbread
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Sadiemae - I was wondering why would you need to wash a bobbin also. Glad I'm not the only one that thought this way.
When I asked at Joann Fabrics the girl also thought it was something to wash the bobbins in. I had never heard of them either until about a week or so ago.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

I got them, and use them, but don't notice any difference. I really wasn't having any problems with my mechanical machines before. So why did I even try them? Oh well, I am easily swayed by almost any "gadget" thingy!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:58 PM

my first thought was also something to wash the bobbins... and I thought... IF you needed to wash it, why not just a bowl of soapy water...

heh
Old 10-09-2011, 02:02 PM

I just ordered some from Nancy's Notions, the package arrived yesterday. It will be at least next weekend before I get to try them out. I have had some birdnesting when so I thought I'd give these a whirl. I'm just starting out learning FMQ.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

That is my biggest peeve, when a quilt shop does not know about or keep up with what is new, in this case, pretty old news. Bobbin Genies are not new. I went to a very big embroidery machine dealer and when I asked about Bedazzled, the owner looked at me like I meant the Bedazzle sold at Hobby Lobby! I had to show her on the internet what Bedazzled was all about. It's the most award winning machine embroidery for quilting in the last few years! She was flabbergasted at the concept. And she teaches machine embroidery? Has she looked at a trade magazine in the last year?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:33 PM

I've found that they sometimes help. Don't always use them, but I put one in if I can't get the tension right for FMQ and they can make a difference.