Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magic Bobbin Washers???

Magic Bobbin Washers???

Leah Day recommends these Bobbin Washers and has said they make quite a difference . Who has tried them and what did you think? Does the machine you are using make a difference in whether you should use them? I have a Bernina 550 - is it something I should try in my machine?

I use the Mega Genie on my Gammill...solves almost all tension issues...I recommend them highly!!
    May the scrap fairy visit your sewing room often

Since I don't quilt on my DSM, I haven't tried them there. They have really helped when I use them in my longarm, though.

They did not work on my Bernina. Most people seem to like them though.

Standing in front of Walmart begging for fat quarters
    Blog Entries
    I have them and don't seem to notice a difference, of course my tension issues have everything to do with the operator and little to do with the machine
    From the artist formerly known as Missus Fear...Hi, my name is Tracy and I am a hobbyaholic.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/m...ear-79671.html

I used them on my dinky mechanical brother and never noticed a difference. I've also never had tension issues with that machine even with FMQ

My repair man told me NOT to use them. They make the bobbin spin around even though you've stopped sewing. He says they are bad for the machines.

I own 30 different machines and have never had the need to try them. If you get to know your machine properly and can adjust the tension on top and bottom if there are any issues, then you don't need them.

Good question, I know I have one to use "if" I use prewound bobbins, which I don't. So this is the first I have heard of using them for bobbin tension. I do have a question for you, do you have a tension problem, is the bobbin thread loose or too tight? I think mine is fine.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    My repair man told me NOT to use them. They make the bobbin spin around even though you've stopped sewing. He says they are bad for the machines.

That doesn't make any sense. Only a strong centrifugal force will keep a bobbin spinning after you stop sewing and a threaded bobbin won't allow that to happen anyway. All the washers do is stop static electricity build up which causes bird nests. I use them in all my machines that have a metal bobbin case. You need to take the tension disc out of the bobbin case. It's easy to take out and put back in. I like them and have been using them since they first became available to use. Before the washers I used liquid silicone and put a teeny tiny drop in the bobbin case.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast