Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Magnetic Snaps

I'm going to use a magnetic snap on my next Bow Tucks. I have never used one before so at which stage of putting this together do I put the snap in? I was also thinking of putting a small flap on the purse where the tie for the button would go and put the snap on that. I think it still needs a little something there. I just don't know how to make one of those. Can anyone tell me how to make one of those?

Blog Entries
    I didn't do a flap on mine...I just put the snaps on the lining before I assembled the purse... :)

I put my snaps in after quilting the lining. I have used the snaps on all of the four I have made but I have not done a flap.

some magnetic snaps are too strong for cotton. I use a piece of stiffener in that area. I had bought, yes bought a vera bradley bag with a snap that was so hard to do, within a week it had pulled out. Returned th bag. and made my own version but added the stiffener, so far so good..8 months. be careful.

thanks for the link. good for everyone to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    :thumbup:

Hi everyone,
    Before all these wonderful patterns came onto the market, I used to take apart purses to use as a pattern. It is very interesting the industry secrets you find when you do that.

The one that pertains to the snap is, use a sturdy piece of thin cardboard before you add the snap, The outside fabric would show this, but to soften the edges with a little thin layer of thin batting or foam next to the fabric to keep the inside workings from showing to the outside. I hope this makes sense to you. It is kind of hard to explain. It really works to renforce the fabric. p.s.) If you use the purse feet, this works great too.