Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
magnets and computerized machines >

magnets and computerized machines

magnets and computerized machines

Old 05-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Default magnets and computerized machines

I was watching a video the other day and the woman had her magnetic pin holder sitting in the harp so it would be close when she removed pins from her piecing. Would something bad happen if you did this? I keep my magnetic pin holder far away from my machine but it sure is inconvenient. I would welcome any insight on this issue.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Power Poster

It would take a very serious magnet - not one that you will find outside a lab - to do any harm to a modern computer. Floppy disks were susceptible to damage from magnets, but they're not used anymore, unless you have a really old system.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:31 AM

Good to know - I was sewing a purse with a magnetic clasp on it and was worried about the magnet being that close to my machine.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

I am not sure if this is an old wise tail or what. I still try to be as careful as possible. I know when I was a mainframe computer operator, we were all told never bring in anything magnetic into the computer room.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:16 PM

For computers, yes a magnent can wipe them out. For our sewing/emb machines, no. The computer parts are to protected. I use the magnent seam guide on my emb machine and if you've ever seen how strong those magnents are on the metal hoops, you'd know a pin holder won't hurt them. I have one cheaper computerized machine and its had the magnetic seam guide being used on it for around 5 yrs and for the past 3 yrs I've had two of the top of the line Vikings and with the guide or the magnetic hoop (made by Viking) there hasn't been any damage or slowness on my machines.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:24 PM

Yes, Viking users have a most wonderful hoop available, comes with 4 magnets and my dealer sold me 4 additional, with full disclosure of what I wante to do with them. He is the "mechanic" I trust, he saw no problem. These magnets are pretty darn strong, come really close to the computer when working, and have caused no problem at all. I use the hoop to hold a quilt (all sandwiched up with batting- too thick to "hoop") and I did stars all over for the Quilts of Valor project. Works well, no damage, no threat..as stated above, the computer is very well protected and is only a processor, not a true computer. I have set my magnetic pin bowl on top of my usb stick accidently with no adverse effects.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM

hmm. magnetic stuff I've looked at that is marketed for sewing says to keep it away from computerize machines. Since I have no dealer nearby I'll just keep on keeping magnets away from my machine.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM

I, too, keep my magnetic pin holder way from my machine. Gave away my magnetic seam gide as well. Call me a dinosaur, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Probably being overly conservative, but it works for me!
Old 05-13-2014, 05:21 PM

I've always worn those magnetic braclets on each wrist when sewing on my computerized machine. Machine is now 10 years old. I refuse to baby my machine, except for thread. LOL. Of course I feel the average person will not have access to a magnetic strong enough to do damage.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:38 PM

As Dunster said, only floppy disks are especially susceptible. Most people don't have floppy disks anymore. More than likely your sewing machine has flash memory (like an SD card) which isn't susceptible.

If you have a data phone, you'll see that many of the protective covers contain magnets. Phones have flash memory as well.

I suspect that any warning contained with your sewing machine is there because if they didn't publish a warning, people who think magnets will damage the data on their sewing machine would question it. They'd rather not have the calls to customer service.

Here's an eHow article on the subject. http://www.ehow.com/about_6113968_do...omputers_.html