Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mail order gamble >

Mail order gamble

Mail order gamble

Old 06-21-2015, 06:24 AM

Default Mail order gamble

I used up all the red making the cowboy quilt (http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t265870.html) When I went back to my LQS to buy more for the binding, they were out of it. I found it online, but it came in two colors, red and dark red. As you know, online pictures are difficult to tell true color. I thought it was red, but it was a deep red so it could be dark red. The selvage did not help as the numbers were the same. Option 1: order red and hope it's right. If not, order dark red. Option 2: order both. You can always use red. Shipping was the same and if I was wrong, I would pay shipping again. I went with option 2. I now have some lovely dark red fabric in my stash.
Attached Thumbnails fabric.jpg  
Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I check with the website of the fabric manufacturer. Could you have asked the LQS what fabric # color they carried?? It is difficult to order on-line and since I don't drive anymore, I find that asking questions help limits my mistakes.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

I probably would have ordered both. Did either of them match?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

That's what I was going to ask. The very few times I ordered any fabric, I ordered extra. That is still no guarantee especially when I ordered a light green the selvage had all identical numbers. Have also seen same side by side in stores. Same identical numbers but definitely a difference.
Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Old 06-21-2015, 07:08 AM

I always wonder about a dye lot difference when I try to buy more of a fabric, even at the same store sometimes. I've seen it where two bolts side by side are slightly different. I think you chose we'll, hopefully one of the colors will match, and they're mottled so that helps too.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:13 AM

I would purchase both, but than I am a "more the merrier" kind of girl................calla
Old 06-21-2015, 07:30 AM

You can never have too much red!
Old 06-21-2015, 08:31 AM

This happened to me recently, I found the absolute perfect backing fabric for my latest quilt at my LQS, it was a really, really pretty dark teal blue batik. I bought the rest of the bolt, which was about half of what I needed, then went online and bought more. I am well aware of differences in dye lots, but I hoped that since it was a batik and the dyes are different throughout the yardage that it wouldn't be noticeable. NOPE. When it arrived, it was a completely different shade of blue and was muddy, not pretty at all.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
In this case, yes it matched. The selvage from the original fabric is draped across the matching red. It's binding, so an exact match wasn't quite as critical.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This happened to me recently, I found the absolute perfect backing fabric for my latest quilt at my LQS, it was a really, really pretty dark teal blue batik. I bought the rest of the bolt, which was about half of what I needed, then went online and bought more. I am well aware of differences in dye lots, but I hoped that since it was a batik and the dyes are different throughout the yardage that it wouldn't be noticeable. NOPE. When it arrived, it was a completely different shade of blue and was muddy, not pretty at all.
I am so sorry! How disappointing and now you have fabric you don't like.