Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mailing a quilt >

mailing a quilt

mailing a quilt

Old 04-24-2015, 04:46 AM

Default mailing a quilt

I am in need of advice of how to prepare a quilt to send in the mail/what is the best way--UPS or what?/ insurance?
It seems I have somewhere in my stacks/files of quilting articles of how to do it but can't find the instructions. It will be going from Iowa to Texas. Please advise and thanks.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:10 AM

There was just a discussion on this on another thread. If size is right - priority mail flat rate boxes from the post office are good choices - they can be tracked along the way and are a reasonable price. If large - sometimes FedEx is a better choice - again they can be tracked and can be cheaper than the post office. I am not a fan of UPS.
You can go on line to USPS, FedEx and UPS and put in box weight and dimensions and get prices. There is something that not everyone is familiar with call "DIM weight"....but putting in weight and dimensions on these sights will cover that contingency.
All can be insured, all can be tracked.
PS>........i ALWAYS put mine in a clean plastic garbage bag before putting it in the box....that way, if for some reason the box gets wet, it doesn't get to the quilt.
For a ginormous quilt - i've put it in a space bag and sucked the air out, then boxed using nylon strapping tape (just in case the suction doesn't hold and it tries to expand.
Good luck.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:18 AM

Your shipping tips? Started by just_the_scraps_m'am, 04-19-2015 05:39 PM <DL id=pagination_threadbit_264220 class=pagination><DT class=label>2 Pages • <DD>1 2 </DD></DL>This article may give you some answers to your questions.
I usually just put it in a priority box, put a to and from address in
side the box, cover the outside address with clear packing tape, and insure it for more than the post office standard $50 that is included in priority shipping.
I also track my package on the net, and have confirmation of delivery sent to my phone. then I send a text message to the receiving person.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:21 AM

I would not go with UPS. They drop the pkg at the door without a signature. No guarantee it made it to the right house or was not picked up by someone else. I go with post office and request signature upon delivery.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

One of the biggest mistakes made when shipping a quilt is trying to save money on the shipping.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I had it so the recipient had to pick it up and sign for it at the post office - along with the sbove. I did not want s box setting outside for anyone to pick up.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:41 AM

A Priority box is the way to go...it includes tracking. You can watch as it travels the country.
But please, if anyone asks what it is at the post office....tell them you are trading scraps with a friend. Never mention that it is a quilt.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 AM

I also use Priority Mail and add insurance value. This gives you tracking and if insured I think they require a signature upon delivery. Never had a problem this way.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:56 AM

I use Fedex, and add the extra insurance to the true value of the quilt.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

USPS boxes are the way to go. Be sure to include your address inside and put it in a sealed Ziploc type bag. I believe that priority mail is NOW insured but you will never get what the quilt is worth, just the value of the fabric. Make sure the label is glued and securely taped to the box. You can track its progress on the USPS website.