Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make Accountable >

Make Accountable

Make Accountable

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by Rebecca VLQ
I can't speak to untrustworthy, but sure can to ingrates.

I've sent out alot of packets to Board folks, particularly the 1 1/2" square crowd; to some of them twice.
Very few even acknowledged, let alone thanked me.

For the future, my sending will be limited to those members who acknowledged, without being asked to by PM. And, to all requests from Canada and Australia, who always send thanks. Maybe they were better taught good manners.
Respectfully, you *did* send said items of your own free will, right? Expecting nothing in return? I'm not condoning bad behavior, but at the same time it seems you're hurt because you didn't "receive" something in return for your kindness.

We give because we want to, not because we have to. If you don't "want to" that is your right as the giver...but I'm not sure an announcement such as this is necessary.
I'm not hurt; just annoyed.
And, I did think it necessary, or I wouldn't have written.
Maybe it's just because a thank you costs nothing and manners are more important to some people than others? Even just an acknowledgement just to reassure you it didn't get lost in the post.

Not speaking from experience, but just my two-pennys worth!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

I've sent out alot of packets to Board folks, particularly the 1 1/2" square crowd; to some of them twice.

For the future, my sending will be limited to those members who acknowledged, without being asked to by PM. And, to all requests from Canada and Australia, who always send thanks. Maybe they were better taught good manners.
Respectfully, you *did* send said items of your own free will, right? Expecting nothing in return? I'm not condoning bad behavior, but at the same time it seems you're hurt because you didn't "receive" something in return for your kindness.

We give because we want to, not because we have to. If you don't "want to" that is your right as the giver...but I'm not sure an announcement such as this is necessary.
My problem with replying to people who send me things is they often don't give me anything to respond to. I get their return address only. No board name no email address and so no way of publicly acknowkledging the gift. I am terrible at sending cards and letters through the mail. It takes time to do all that and more often than not I set it aside to do it when I have more time and forget all about it. Then I feel guilty but never get it done. If I get a gift from Mary Soandso and I don't know what her board name is I can't respond.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda

My problem with replying to people who send me things is they often don't give me anything to respond to. I get their return address only. No board name no email address and so no way of publicly acknowkledging the gift. I am terrible at sending cards and letters through the mail. It takes time to do all that and more often than not I set it aside to do it when I have more time and forget all about it. Then I feel guilty but never get it done. If I get a gift from Mary Soandso and I don't know what her board name is I can't respond.
Very good point! I assumed people would include their board names if they wanted some form of reply, but you know what they say about assuming. *sigh*
Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned

I think I've always included my Board name.
Plus, one could probably figure it out from looking at PMs.
If you can't figure it out, you've got a return address, the Post Office still delivers mail.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31 AM

^^^You're so right...a thank you DOESN'T cost a thing. I think that it benefits both parties...the person who gave and the person who received. I've also been guilty of having the best of intentions, and letting a thank you slip my mind. That warm-fuzzy feeling is totally lost when a thank you must be prompted, however. And it sours the spirit of giving when someone goes out of their way to make an announcement about their choice to withhold their giving to a select few who "pay" for something they're given with a thank you.

Gollytwo, since you DO feel it necessary to make your intentions known, I'm glad you got that off your chest. I hope it helps you feel better about situations where you felt your kindness was taken advantage of.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Administrator

1. a gift is something given with no expectations or strings attached. anything else is a transaction.

2. feedback is suffient. No need for a cannon when a stun gun will do the job. ;-)

back to the fun, please.