Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming >

Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming

Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming

Old 09-23-2014, 06:26 PM

Default Make over-sized and then trim to size vs. no excess trimming

Hi,

I would like to get your opinion of when you make units or blocks do you over-size them so they can then be cut to the perfect size versus "getting it right to the correct size the first time". For example, when making a 4" finished size half square triangle, do you prefer just to add 7/8" to the finished size and hope to get a perfect 4 1/2" unfinished HST, or do you prefer adding 1" (or ,more) to the finished size, get a bit bigger than 4 1/2" unfinished HST, and then trim it to be the perfect 4 1/2" unfinished HST?

The follow-up question, regardless of your answer to the first question is, do you follow patterns to make your quilts, or do you prefer not using patterns when you make quilts?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

The fastest technique for me (for triangles) is to use the Accuquilt Go! to die-cut the pieces. The cuts are very accurate and the "dog ears" are nipped off which makes it very easy to line up triangles precisely for sewing.

The add 7/8" technique is pretty old now. If I were to use that technique (which I never would, now that I have the Go!), I would add an inch and cut down just because it is so hard to *accurately* cut a square, then *accurately* cut diagonally along the bias to create triangles, then *accurately* line up the bias edges of the triangles and not stretch them when sewing. If I had to use that method to create half-square triangles, I'd probably look for other patterns.

I do both -- use patterns and not use patterns. It depends on the type of quilt and the mood I'm in.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 PM

For HST, I add the inch and trim. For flying geese, I use the special Quilt in a Day ruler which is essentially a cut down ruler. Most other things I try to get right without cutting down.

I loosely follow patterns. Generally, I end up changing something along the way.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 PM

I also add an inch on HST and trim. On others I tend to cut to correct size on the first block but if that doesn't work out, I cut my pieces a little larger or try to find an easier way to make the block.

As a scrappy quilter, I rarely follow patterns but I am that way also for life in general ..... who wants to walk with the crowd?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 PM

I've given up the hoping thing and have opted to cut slightly oversized and trim down. Those bias seams on half square triangles and squares in a square just seem to ask for it when I'm making them.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:56 PM

For hst's I generally dobthe inch thing and trim. Just about everything else I cut true size.

I always use patterns. Not confident enough in my abilities to do anything other than that and not a fan of scrappy. Just me.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:29 AM

If it is something that can be made oversized then trimmed down, I do. Not everything can be done that way though. Then I paper piece. More than once I've drafted a paper piecing pattern to get the precision I want with out being overly fussy with rotary cutting it.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:34 AM

I use Deb Tucker's methods of making a little larger then trimming with her rulers. I have trouble with being a perfectionist and like the accuracy. Also as a longarmer I have less time to piece and find it faster in the long run to trim for accuracy and a lot less frustrating for me.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 AM
Power Poster

i use the trim down on the hst's and geese... those are so difficult to get exactly right that i think i actually save time to use the trim down method.

i only use patterns as a general guide, if i even use a commercial/online pattern. i often put the pattern/idea into my EQ to make it my own and the exact size that i need.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:50 AM
Power Poster

I overcut HST and Flying geese. I use bloc-loc rulers for the HST. They have come out with rulers for flying geese, but have not tried them. Oh, I also over cut the squares for 'flippy corners' like snowball blocks.
I often start with a pattern, but when I'm done it's sometimes hard to tell it's the same quilt!