Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making my own binding question. >

Making my own binding question.

Making my own binding question.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM

buy"The Quilters Edge by Darlene Zimmerman she has a chart on page 74.It will tell and show you. its my quilting bible.(Borders,Bindings and Finishing Touches. :-)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:16 AM

Thanks Gloria for the reference. I am going to Amazon to check it out.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM

Sally Collins, the gal known internationally as the top precision piecer, has a great book out called "[u]Borders, Bindings, and Edges[/i]." She is going to come to my local guild and is giving two classes, one of which is on the above. I'm sooooo excited!!!! Her book really helped to push my borders in an entirely new and exciting direction, at least for me. :lol:
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I bought this bias strip ruler. It's fast to cut bias strips with no fussy measuring.

http://ihaveanotion.blogspot.com/200...implicity.html
Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Thanks for the link BellaBoo that looks like it would make things lot easier!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM

i don't know what others do, but i cut my binding on the straight grain, unless i specifically want diagonal stripes for the effect they give. the straight grain makes a much squarer and flatter quilt edge, imo.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I use straight grain too but across the WOF - it's a tad weeny bit more stretchy than the length so sits more nicely. I'd say jelly rolls would be perfect for a scrappy binding. I'd join them on the bias then fold them raw edges together and right side out. The only 'tools' you need are an iron and your own two hands! Oh, and a can of spray starch. :D
Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i don't know what others do, but i cut my binding on the straight grain, unless i specifically want diagonal stripes for the effect they give. the straight grain makes a much squarer and flatter quilt edge, imo.
Do you miter the corners on your binding? If so, how well does that work with the binding cut on the straight edge? I know it is like a quilting commandment that if you miter corners you need bias cut binding, but I can't help but wonder if it would work just as well with straight cut binding.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Originally Posted by butterflywing
Do you miter the corners on your binding? If so, how well does that work with the binding cut on the straight edge? I know it is like a quilting commandment that if you miter corners you need bias cut binding, but I can't help but wonder if it would work just as well with straight cut binding.
I don't know where you got the idea you have to use bias binding to miter corners. You don't. You need bias binding for curves. As long as your quilt has straight edges straight grain binding is fine.

Some people say that bias binding wears better than straight grain binding.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:01 AM

I was able to get my binding made last night. It is wrapped around an old paper towel tube waiting to be added to the quilt...now if I could just get the backing fabric in the mail I could finish up. Waiting for something to be delivered is always so hard!