Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making my own binding question. >

Making my own binding question.

Making my own binding question.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 AM

I just finished a quilt top and have a lot of the jelly roll left (2-1/2 inch strips) that I would like to create my binding with. I was at Joann's yesterday looking at the clover bias tape makers but wasn't sure what size to buy. My question is...what size binding do you bind your quilts with??

Thanks
Old 11-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

i use 2 1/2 inch strips for binding. but i have no idea what size binding maker you should buy. i just fold my strips in half and lay raw edge down onto raw edge of my quilt and sew on with a 1/4 inch seam.
good luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Most quilters prefer to manually fold the binding fabric in half. Raw edges are sewn together and the folded edge of the binding is wrapped around to the other side of the quilt. This creates a double fold of fabric at the quilt's edge.

The Clover bias binders make two folds in the fabric, which the cut edges meeting in the middle of the back. If applied as binding, this results in a single layer of fabric at the binding edge. Most quilters do not use the Clover bias binders to make quilt bindings.

I do love the Clover bias binders for making applique stems for flowers; I just wouldn't use one to make a quilt binding.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks guys. I have the 1/4 inch clover that I used for applique stems. It was so easy to do I thought maybe just maybe it would work for binding my quilts.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:06 AM

I use 2" or 2.5" strips I cut myself from continuous bias binding. Mine is also doubled by pressing the finished very long strip in half, both raw edges hidden beneath the rolled edge of the front of the quilt and hand stitched to the back.

Your strip idea sounds like a great one for a scrappy edge! Enjoy your binding...I am not sure why people dislike this part. It's one of my favorites since I think it adds the finishing touch and means I'm just about done :D :D :D
RETRO
Old 11-03-2009, 08:24 AM

I actually like the process of binding the quilt, just have never actually made my own binding. I am excited to see the scrappy binding finished. I think it will be great. I can't wait to finish this one. I had to order the backing fabric so it will be a while, but I thought I could go ahead and get the binding made while I waited :)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I like binding too. It is the final step and I sew my back by hand and that is relaxing to me.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 AM

I love scrappy bindings. I think they add an extra detail to the quilt. I use 3" for my bindings. I like that extra little bite of edge. The edge is the most used part of the quilt., that's why the binding is double. I saw a trunk show with M'lis Rae Rawlings (I hope I spelled her name right) and that was the way she does bindings and after hearing her explain it I started doing my bindings that way.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

If you use the bias tape maker, I believe that you will end up with a single layer of fabric against the edge of the quilt. Not the sturdiest method imho.

I generally use the folded method for a double thickness of fabric. A 2.5" strip folded in half would give you a 1.25" starting binding. I generally start with a 2.25" strip so yours would just be a little wider.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:22 AM

It is so nice to hear that others enjoy binding their quilts! Almost everyone I know hates that final process and yet I find it both relaxing and exciting at the same time. Me, I hate to sandwich a quilt. I've tried to get someone to exchange chores with me, but no one else seems to like to sandwich quilts either. :lol:

I use anywhere from 1inch to 2.5-inch binding. It depends on the project, though I usually use 2-inch on most of my projects. I also use a double binding.