Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making a quilt with lame' fabric >

Making a quilt with lame' fabric

Making a quilt with lame' fabric

Old 11-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Default Making a quilt with lame' fabric

Has anyone used gold lame' fabric in a quilt? I just ran across a pattern in a 2006 issue of Quilter's Newsletter that would be perfect for a granddaughter that loves bling. The lame' would be the 1-1/2" centers of stars in 6" blocks, so that's not much. The article recommends using a lightweight fusible woven interfacing that's recommended for use with silk, which makes sense. I think the rest of the quilt will be jewel-tone batiks. I'm wondering about washing the quilt with that kind of fabric in it.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:57 AM

I can't tell you exactly , but I inherieted about 4 yards of gold lame' that was smoky smell. I washed it regularly and it came out fine except it frays on edges.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:12 AM

Lame is a fragile fabric. If the quilt is going to get used a lot, I don't think I'd use it.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

It depends on the fabric. I had some quilting gold lame fabric years ago and although it was a pain to sew ( needed a very sharp needle so the threads wouldn't pull) it has held up as well as the cotton fabric surrounding it.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:04 AM

i have used it in wallhangings & decorater pillows. too expensive for me to use in bed quilts. i fuse it to lightweight woven interfacing following directions carefully. all were gifts, but sounds like they've held up well over the years. lamé is woven metal & (????) threads. ravels insanely but with care as to what i was doing or intended i had no problems. i used ball point or all purpose needles & regular sewing thread and had no issues w cut fabric threads. my ex dil had terrible time with it in costumes for the grand hildren. called me ..i told her about the fusing thing i did, and to slow down with her sewing. she called back & said that everything went easily and she wished she had called me sooner, before she had spent several hours fighting with the 'stuff'.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I would try cotton lame' if you can. but the size is so small and if it's not to be washed, you should be OK. see what others here say.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:36 PM

I didn't know there was a cotton lame'. I thought it was all something like polyester. Good to know. The quilt will be washed many times. That's my concern about using the lame'.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
i have used it in wallhangings & decorater pillows. too expensive for me to use in bed quilts. i fuse it to lightweight woven interfacing following directions carefully. all were gifts, but sounds like they've held up well over the years. lamé is woven metal & (????) threads. ravels insanely but with care as to what i was doing or intended i had no problems. i used ball point or all purpose needles & regular sewing thread and had no issues w cut fabric threads. my ex dil had terrible time with it in costumes for the grand hildren. called me ..i told her about the fusing thing i did, and to slow down with her sewing. she called back & said that everything went easily and she wished she had called me sooner, before she had spent several hours fighting with the 'stuff'.
Thanks, Roguequilter. I think I'll take a chance on it.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

take a piece of your lame and try ironing a bit of interfacing to it. use a teflon pressing sheet or something over it. if that works, cut our your squares and sew them in. anything to help it stay firm and stop the edges shredding. good luck.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Fons & Porter just had a show where the guest explained his technique for using different fabrics. In the quilt shown, he used lame and denim. In the same quilt. He used a fusible stabilizer on the lame. They did not mention the brand, just watch the temperature of the iron and don't iron on the lame side.