Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Making a quilt from old satin

I have my mother's wedding gown (it is over 73 years old) which is white satin and a full size bedspread which is made of satin (green and gold, which is the same age as dress). I would like to use it to make a quilt for myself, my daughter or granddaughter (l7). Can anyone suggest the proper procedure to start cutting and sewing the squares together. I am thinking that I will need to either overcast the edges of each square or put iron-on interfacing on each square. I am planning to make a log cabin tied quilt in either queen size or king size. I would appreciate any suggestions as to where to begin. Thank you.

Power Poster
    Hi there,
    This is my suggestion, I wouldn't use it in a quilt, if I were to cut it up a wedding dress I would frame the pieces with there wedding picture on top of it. Just an idea.

Try googling wedding dress quilts. There are some beautiful ones out there!!! In fact, above use the SEARCH for the same thing and I believe there are a couple on here.

I hope you have a lot of patience, because satin is beautiful, but not the nicest to work with. Make sure you use tissue paper when sewing it as its one slippery little bugger! :lol: I would also consider stabilizing it in some way, maybe get some cheap muslin to sew it to.

Good Luck!! It'll be beautiful when its done! :thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. I do not necessarily want to frame it; I have their original wedding picture in the frame they chose and I'm not really sure what would happen to the framed memorabilia after I'm gone. I do know that my family would use a quilt. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjay
    Thanks for the replies. I do not necessarily want to frame it; I have their original wedding picture in the frame they chose and I'm not really sure what would happen to the framed memorabilia after I'm gone. I do know that my family would use a quilt. Thanks again.
    I agree! I am going to do this with my wedding dress, I just haven't decided how I want to do it. I have not been able to find a whole lot of info.

This is the one time I for sure would use a serger to piece the quilt! It goes together like a dream then and would keep the edges secure! Good luck! I'm sure it will be beautiful!

It might be worth using larger seam allowances, as well. I made a velvet and satin purse, and it fell apart because the seam allowances raveled. But it could have been partly becuase it combined satin AND velvet, and it was a big pain to sew. Those two fabrics do NOT play well together.

A log cabin would lend itself easily to sewing on a foundation, and maybe even quilt as you go, which would stabilize it a little more than tying, and might even make it more durable.