Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making quilt surface like on Youtube >

Making quilt surface like on Youtube

Making quilt surface like on Youtube

Old 03-28-2010, 08:42 AM

I've bought the rigid foam insulation, the clear vinyl, and now I'm going to try to replicate what she does in the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...eature=channel

Has anyone done this already?
Are there any hints or tips I should know (that she didn't mention in either video #1 or #2) before I start?
It looks simple enough, even for me :thumbup:
Thanks
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 AM

I just bought the insulation and nailed it to my wall with roofing nails. Works great!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

My dh did it for me. He is a perfectionist, so he laid out the foam on a piece of cardboard, marked his cutting line, then used a metal ruler to keep his knife straight as he cut down. (The foam was laid out flat, not on edge.)

I think there are different types of foam insulation; our pieces were styrofoam. His cuts done as above were much neater on the edge than the piece he had to carve out with a knife for the sewing machine, which shredded the styrofoam more.

It turned out great, but I have to re-do the vinyl covering. Not being a quilter, he cut a slit in it all the way to the needle and a quilt would catch on those edges.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam
I just bought the insulation and nailed it to my wall with roofing nails. Works great!
LOL...I don't think I could get my sewing machine to stay on my wall...
But I know you really meant your husband made you a "wall" for pinning into etc.
That's my next project but right now I'm trying to make a sewing machine cut-out in the insulation and build up my sewing table surface.
Thanks for the laugh.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
It turned out great, but I have to re-do the vinyl covering. Not being a quilter, he cut a slit in it all the way to the needle and a quilt would catch on those edges.
Where did you find the vinyl?
I had to buy a clear vinyl shower curtain. I don't know if it's thick enough.
I went to Lowe's and Home Depot but they don't sell clear vinyl on a big roll anymore like Walmart used to.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 AM

My DH did the same and I love it. With the plastic on top the quilt moves nicely. If I was making another one I'd make it larger; mine is the size of the extension on my sewing table. I'd like it wider so more of the quilt lies flat. We used the styrofoam too-it's light and easy to move. I store it behind the door when I'm not using it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
My DH did the same and I love it. With the plastic on top the quilt moves nicely. If I was making another one I'd make it larger; mine is the size of the extension on my sewing table. I'd like it wider so more of the quilt lies flat. We used the styrofoam too-it's light and easy to move. I store it behind the door when I'm not using it.
I live in a small apartment and my sewing table is 32"x32" so I bought a sheet of green-ish rigid insulation (not the styrofoam with silver coating) that is 1" thick and 4'wide x8' long. I had them cut it twice at 32" so, when stacked, it'll be 3" thick which is what I need to be flush with the needle.
If I move to a larger place when my lease expires, I can always buy a larger table and re-do it.
Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM

I have another question--
Should I take the tool box thing off the front of my machine and then make the foam fit around just the free arm?
Or does it really matter?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:49 AM

If she folds up the table and puts it and the insulation in her closet, where does she keep her stash? :-D
Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 AM

Thats interesting. Thanks for sharing :-D