Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Quilt >

Making Quilt

Making Quilt

Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 AM
JJC

I was wondering what a person would charge for making a queen size quilt along with pillowshams. I would not be doing the machine quilting, would have someone else do that part of it. Thinking of doing of block half square triangles. I haven't done a quilt for someone else, but have been asked to do one and I decided I would commit to it.

Your help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 AM

I personally would not do one that size for less than $200.00 plus the cost of having it quilted. That does not include the fabric.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

that sounds about right, but there are simpler patterns that you could do for less money if the customer wishes.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 AM

Have that person go and buy the amount of fabric you tell them. It'll make a big difference in how much it costs, and might come as a big shock to them. There are so many sizes for quilts that a person who doesn't quilt might have a very low idea of what it really does cost.
Right off the top of my head there are lap robes of several sizes (my daughter is 5'4 and would take a smaller lap robe than her 6'5 hubby) and there are crib quilts, bunk beds, twin beds, standard beds, both regular and extra long and also extra wide, doubles also regular and extra long or extra wide, queens also with all that, kings, when we looked at them there were Eastern Kings, Western Kings, extra wide and extra long Kings, well, you get the message that each bed can be different. And my sister and her DH had a mattress specially made for an antique bed, so it's best to get some idea of what size you are committing to making.
Good luck on that and show us the finished product.

And would the pillow shams be for regular or queen or king pillows? I have a queen bed but insist on king pillows. And one of MY complaints is that they don't make the king pillow cases big enough, it's a real fight to get them on my pillows.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:16 PM

the price all depends on how much you want to do it,..I have been asked many time to make a quilt...cut fabric etc...I really do not want to do others I have enough of my own and I work full time...if I was not working I may do it for fun...at a low cost....but I really do not need the income...if I was doing it for an income I would charge more but I also would be stressed....I would want it to be perfect...so Nope...no amount is worth it to me...I enjoy this as a hobby...if I did find that I run out of projects to do and gifts to make I may make one if they paid 100 percent of the fabric and thread. No charge for labor since its a hobby. I would just have fun making it.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM

The one killer phrase flashed through my mind. "It's only sewing", when I tell them how much I would charge. I had worked off and on for 2 weeks on a crib blanket for an elderly ladies' great grand-son. All the units were paper-pieced, and it was full of trains, trees and circus animals. She loved this quilt, and so did many others. She was so proud to hand me a $50.00 dollar bill for my time. That was so hard not to show the disappointment in my face. I had close to $50.00 in materials! That was the point I said to myself "never, ever again". I wouldn't even attempt to do something like that for less than $200.00 plus materials. I'd much rather spend my time sewing for charity or gifts for friends and family than make a quilt for pay. (Shirley McClain said it best in the movie "Steele Magnolias"; "I ain't as sweet as I used to be."
Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 PM

A person who is not a craftsman/woman would have no clue what a fair price would be. My husband is a carpenter (started in education as a building trades teacher before admin). He built us a one of a kind 5 piece corner entertainment center. Based on design, materials,time would price it at least $11,000 if commissioned to build one. Many people don't know the difference between veneers, solid wood, types of wood and their values etc. Quilting is the same. Many don't understand differing material qualities, labor values and all things included in final price. Always settle on costs ahead of delivery, be fair to yourself and potential customers. Experience and ability are important in determining cost also.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:40 PM

Also, do NOT deliver it until it is paid for. I have heard of several people here who have gotten burned by handing over the quilt before payment was received, and they never did get paid.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Banned

If you decide to do it then get everything in writing and a deposit before you begin. Rarely do these projects turn out without difficulty - misunderstandings and sometime hard feelings. I have been in the situation and their expectations are no where reality. And you are most likely working on their deadline which might change. Things come up in your life (since your work) that works against you.
Refer the person to the local quilt shop for disussion.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by JJC
I was wondering what a person would charge for making a queen size quilt along with pillowshams. I would not be doing the machine quilting, would have someone else do that part of it. Thinking of doing of block half square triangles. I haven't done a quilt for someone else, but have been asked to do one and I decided I would commit to it.

Your help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.
Just tell them $500 and see their reaction! :)