Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
making the sandwich >

making the sandwich

making the sandwich

Old 03-29-2012, 12:40 PM

Question making the sandwich

I have everything laid out - backing,center and finished top, But can't see the backing very well and have trouble lining everything up corner to corner. Folded in half etc. but can't seem to get the back in line with edge of top because the middle extends beyond the top. Is there an easy way to make this work? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Haven't made very many quilts so need help which will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Your backing and batting should be larger than your top. If your backing fabric is larger than your top then you can cut down the batting to match the backing and get a better idea as to where you are placing the top. You should have a couple of inches extra around your top (top and bottom and side to side) because when quilting it sometimes kinda shrinks the batting and backing and you don't want to run out of fabric and batting before you finish quilting.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

My backing and batting are always bigger than my quilt top. For me, its about 6 inches wider all the way around so that I can still have the backing/batting attached to the quilting frame securely. I then trim everything down nice & straight/square when i finish.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:20 PM

My backing is always larger, because when done, I pull it around instead of using binding
Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

the backing should have a few extra inches all the way around larger than the quilt top- you place that down-smooth it without stretching it- then place the batting (also larger than the quilt top) smooth that over the backing- then place the top in the center with a few inches all the way around showing ---baste (either with pins or thread basting)
if you are using spray baste then you spray & layer--
secure the edges- then quilt as desired-
when the quilting is done the quilt is trimmed (squared up) so the edges are even for binding.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:13 PM

I saw a tutorial not to long ago that suggested ironing your backing so you had creased it in 1/4's. understand?
do the same with your top. then you tape a cross of wooden dowels on the center of your table. do what you can to mark the batting in 1/4's also. then you feel the wooden dowels thru the center of the backing. then she taped, or used large clips to fasten the backing to the table. next the batting, then the top. lining up the center 1/4 creased lines. follow the creases out to the edge. I had thought at the time, that this would work for a biginning quilter to get the hang of laying out the sandwich.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:21 PM

FIrst make sure that your side measurements are the same and your end measurements are the same on your backing. Once you lay your backing on the flat surface/floor, use masking tape to hold the corners in place. Then take a tape measure (you'll need a carpenter's one for this because of the length) and measure diagonally, corner to corner. Adjust the masking tape until the two diagonal measures are the same. Also make sure there are no wrinkles in the backing. I usually use a few pieces of masking tape around the sides just to hold things in place.

Now lay on the batting. I like to unroll my batting and let it sit, draped over a bed or on the floor for a day or so, to let it 'relax'. If it is really really creased and compressed, I have thrown it into the dryer on low for a few minutes. I try to make sure that my batting is smaller than my backing fabric but larger than my top.

Now it is time for your top. Because you know that your backing is squared up and straight, you can use it to help you position your top. But before you pin it all together, get out that carpenter's measuring tape again, and check the diagonal measurements for the top. Again, they should be the same. Once you have adjusted things so that they are, use a bit more masking tape on the corners and sides to hold things in place, then have at it with the pins or basting thread.

Finally, carefully remove the masking tape and quilt your quilt.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Power Poster

I fold my backing in half lengthwise, put pins along this line on right side that is down, I then fold in half widthwise and put a pin to mark center and several on that line. I mark the batting as I did the backing, this time I mark the center, both sides, then both ends just in the edges. I take out the center pin before putting the top on. I mark the top same as backing, right side up. Since I cut the backing 2-3" bigger all around, I use a ruler to line pins up with pins on the top. I feel for the pins in backing, batting and pin that section, move to be able to pin all the top. I turn over the quilt, take out all the pins used to mark the backing. I use wood worker clamps to clamp the backing,batting and top to my glass top dining table. Usually quilts are longer than the length of my table so I use a rectangle card type table to put overflow on. Sorry, this is long.