Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!! >

Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!!

Making Sandwiches ... the Quilt Kind!!!!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM

There are some great suggestions here. The LQS's I've been around will let me use their classroom when not in use. So push together as many tables as it takes. Pin baste the quilt on the table closest to you. When finished, untape that table and move it aside. Then go onto the next table, that way you can get to the middle.

Personally, my shoulders, neck and back cannot handle putting a BIG quilt through a domestic machine. So I'd have it LAQ'ed.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by helenquilt View Post
My bed happens to be pretty high so I use it. I can pin the top and one side to the bedspread or to the mattress if it happens on wash day. I pin the lining all around the bed, add the batting then the top. Because the lining is straight with the mattress I start on that corner with the top. I pin with safety pins all the area I can reach from on side the move everything over to get the rest of the quilt up where I can finish pinning. Works great for me.
Helen, how do you keep from pinning everything to the bed?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 PM

First thing is I use lots of spray starch and make my backing and top nice and crisp, then I either use a ping-pong table ( purchased at a garage sale for this use) in the garage or I use my island if it is a small quilt.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:47 AM

This has been a very helpful thread for me since I have limited space and no where else to go. I have enjoyed all the
useful info.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
I've always thread basted, but the last one I did, I completely glue basted with Elmer's School glue and let it dry for about an hour in between sections. No pins, no needle and thread, easy as can be, and even accounting for the drying time, still quicker for me than thread basting like I used to do.
Minstrel, you can press the fabric over the flue spot (after making sure all is smooth) and not have to wait at all for school glue to dry. Just a way to speed up the process.....

Personally, I don't take drugs (even if prescription... unless the situation is critical.... too many "discoveries" of drug problems) and I'm certainly not going to use spray chemicals that come with warnings, especially when Elmer's school glue is safe and lets me put things exactly where I want them. To me it's a no-brainer.

Last edited by Sierra; 01-28-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:04 AM

I am going to start using my daughter in laws ping pong table..and use the washable elmers glue method.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:32 AM

Since I don't have ping pong table, garage, room big enough for two tables, and our church fellowship hall just bought all ROUND tables, I have to just use one folding table. I use the really large binder clips from an office supply store OR walmart to hold my sandwich together in sections. After pinning (I'm gonna glue next one) then I move it and pin sides & bottom.