Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Totes That Hold Up >

Making Totes That Hold Up

Making Totes That Hold Up

Old 08-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Thank you for all the replies and great advice. This makes me feel much more confident that the bags I'm making will hold up - and I like the idea about doing the straps that go all the way around for extra support. GOOD idea!

I made this one yesterday, for my Mom. My parents are my best customers so far! LOL* They ordered a set of placemats off of Etsy from me and then a few days ago my Dad placed an order for this tote for my Momma...he is surprising her at work today with it. I hope she likes it! I feel confident it will last for her then after all your comments. :)

OH - and thank you for the compliments on my daughters tote!! I really like it too, and she loves it! She is 9 and just started cheerleading this year so I thought she might feel like it was too "babyish" for her, but she carries it EVERYWHERE. Momma feels good about that... ;)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236887.jpe   attachment-236888.jpe   attachment-236889.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 AM

I use my totes for carrying groceries and other purchases. They are made out of parachute fabric, super strong, super light and fold up very small. The handle goes across the bottom for extra support. I have a set of 5 that fold up into a very small pouch that snaps onto my purse handle. They can carry as many groceries as I used to put into 20! plastic bags. They were a gift from my daughter. They are the handiest thing I own and I wouldn't take $100 for them but I think she paid $35 for them. The aren't quilted but are of very bright, bold and fun prints. The big advantage is that until I want to use them they are in this super small pouch. They wash like a dream. If I can lift it, they can hold it. I can't praise them enough. I haven't carried a regular tote bag since I got them; I have about 5 gathering dust in my closet.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:10 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
Originally Posted by lindasidlow
The totes I make have box bottoms and I sew about 5 large buttons across the bottom. That keeps the fabric on the bottom from wearing thin.
The buttons sounds like a great idea
:thumbup: Great idea.

Are French seams stronger?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Your bags are beautiful! The fabrics are so pretty :D:D:D
Old 08-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

When it comes to tote bags I try and err in the direction of over-construction. I use felled seams, and if I don't make the handles go all the way under the bag, I extend them at least an inch into the bag and secure with boxed X stitching: Sew a square just smaller than the width of the handles, then sew an "X" across the box.
I made a bag for a friend, actually, it was just a fabric gift bag, embroidered with her initials to hold her real gift, made out of cotton. Since it was just the gift wrapping, I didn't make it too strong. A few months later, she brought it to me to fix because the side seam had come loose. I almost fainted when she told me she was carrying books AND her laptop in it!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Also, here are my favorite sites for free patterns. You can take a look at the patterns for construction tips.
http://pursepatterns.com/free_bag_patterns.html
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/projec...terns_ss1.html
http://www.allcrafts.net/sewing/pursesew.htm
Old 08-05-2011, 09:14 AM

I made a tote in my sewing 101 class in 1998...nothing fancy, just to learn the basics of sewing and how to use the different commercial machines... Used it for two years as a purse...we all know the trauma/abuse our purses take.... used it forever as a book tote ... still going strong with absolutely no sign of wear....when it get's grungy, toss it in the washer with the towels or blue jeans (it's black) and it look brand new :).... yea, I say they hold up...
Old 08-05-2011, 11:08 AM

I've sewn five or six totes for myself for groceries and one quilted purse tote. I always use the method of securing handles posted by PaperPrincess (boxed x stitching), and they have held up well after MANY loads of groceries. I use the purse tote to carry my laptop sometimes.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Oh, one more thing I thought of. If possible, avoid a bottom seam. Make the front and back from a single piece of fabric. This is not always possible, due to fabric with directional prints or if the bag is pieced, but i always at least try and do this with the lining.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter
I have just begun making totes for myself, family, and a few extra to sell at craft shows to earn a little extra spending money, as I am a stay at home Mom. I haven't done anything fance with them other than fold a section of quilted fabric in half, box the bottom corners, and add quilted handles...pockets are no problems...but do these kinds of bags hold up as long as there is reinforcement stitching? Do you have any suggestions that would be quick and easy to ensure they last longer?

I'll attatch a picture of the first one I made for my daughter...
The only thing I would recommend is use a stabilizer in it to make it stronger if you are in doubt.