Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MAKING YOUR OWN TEMPLATES >

MAKING YOUR OWN TEMPLATES

MAKING YOUR OWN TEMPLATES

Old 10-10-2011, 03:27 AM

I've been using the plastic from cat litter containers to make curved templates, and I'm using old (used to be for fabric) scissors. Nearly free! :D
Old 10-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
Originally Posted by bearisgray
I've made my own templates.

If they have straight edges, I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them.

If they have curved edges, I cut them out with a scissors.

Don't have a template cutter, so can't offer any comments about them.
Do you use your rotary cutter with the templates you make? I find they are thin and dangerous to use with the rotary. Any advice would be appreciated!
I use my rotary cutter to cut around the templates - I usually manage to avoid cutting them. My technique is probably a bit different than when I'm cutting against a "regular" 1/8 thick acrylic ruler.

I don't quite get the "dangerous" part of cutting around a thin plastic template - other than to avoid slicing off part of it.

Okay - I got it! The difference is cutting AROUND as compared to cutting AGAINST!

Works for me, anyway.

I tried cutting the template plastic with x-acto knives. That didn't work out very well for me. Maybe I needed different blade(s) than the one I have.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 AM

REAlly?? I have one of those irons, will be looking for the tip now! THANK YOU!!

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I use my stencil tool all the time. I also have the Clover iron with interchangeable tips and it has a stencil tip also. I use a picture frame with the glass in it and lay the plastic on top when cutting the stencil. Keeps me from burning something accidentally!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 AM

How expensive is template plastic? I haven't gone looking for it yet.
What is the least exspensive way some of you have made a template?
This first quilt will be a simple applique of my own making on simple square blocks.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Dollarama has a set of two boot inserts...to hold high boots in shape... that are just the right thickness of plastic for templates. Two pieces about 12" x 16" for $1.25. I just cut them with my rotary cutter or with my old pair of (ex) fabric scissors.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:22 AM

If you are making appliques out of solid fabrics or all over designs and do not need to be able to see through the template inorder to fussy cut your fabric, your cheapest template is cardboard. If you need to see through it, almost anything stronger than paper that is transparent will work.If you're making templates that are not one quilt only, but ones that you want to use over and over, then real template material is probably the best and it is so easily cut, doesn't turn yellow with age and won't curl when stored flat. Unless you are making a lot, a sheet of template plastic is not prohibitive in price. You can also use plastic carpet protectors, the ones that are sold by the yard at Home Depot. However, they have a texture that may be hard for some to compensate for.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter
I've made my own templates.

If they have straight edges, I use my rotary cutter and ruler to cut them.

If they have curved edges, I cut them out with a scissors.

Don't have a template cutter, so can't offer any comments about them.
Do you use your rotary cutter with the templates you make? I find they are thin and dangerous to use with the rotary. Any advice would be appreciated!
I use my rotary cutter to cut around the templates - I usually manage to avoid cutting them. My technique is probably a bit different than when I'm cutting against a "regular" 1/8 thick acrylic ruler.

I don't quite get the "dangerous" part of cutting around a thin plastic template - other than to avoid slicing off part of it.

Okay - I got it! The difference is cutting AROUND as compared to cutting AGAINST!

Works for me, anyway.

I tried cutting the template plastic with x-acto knives. That didn't work out very well for me. Maybe I needed different blade(s) than the one I have.
You need to score with the xacto a couple of times and then just break the plastic on the score line. I ususally cut the template out with scissors, though. But that probably doesn't give you a perfectly straight line like using your acrylic ruler with the xacto.

I use one of the burning stencil tools to make the stencils for quilting motifs, but not for making templates for quilt block pieces.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 AM
KR

Originally Posted by suebee
Thats great. Im going to keep my eye peeled for a good price on one. I wonder if harbor freight might have one.. will have to check that out.
Stencil cutting pen at Connecting Threads: http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...L60050118.html.

I love it!! For me it's much easier than an X-acto knife....perhaps not quite as precise but for quilting designs, usually just the general placement is all you need to keep the design evenly spaced.