Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mandala quilts >

Mandala quilts

Mandala quilts

Old 08-05-2011, 03:34 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I want to make one of these, I've been thinking about it for a while. I love the symbolism of them and the beauty. I have the RaNae Merrill book and will get to her method one day - she uses self-drawn twisted cabin type blocks to construct the mandala.

BUT right now I want to make one using some applique on a wholecloth background then lots of FMQ and probably some beads, etc. I've been googling free mandala designs to get to grips with how they work but will draft my own as I think this is a little bit the point of them - the creation of the design is a form of meditation...

Annnn-yyyyy-waaa-yyyy :lol: I thought of drafting my design onto a square of steam a seam directly then cutting up to use as templates but instead of butting the applique pieces up against each other, leaving spaces between them, getting bigger and bigger as they radiate out from the centre. Then these spaces can be filled with FMQ for the swirly bits! And did I say beads? I love beads! :-D

I'll take pics as I go and keep you all informed of my progress (if anyone is interested! :lol: ) and perhaps if it works, do a tute at some stage.

Here are some links to free colouring sites of mandalas in case you're not familiar with them http://www.coloringcastle.com/mandal...ing_index.html
http://www.free-mandala.com/en/start.html

Thoughts anyone? :-D
Old 08-05-2011, 03:44 AM

Doing a mandala sounds like a great project-they are so BEAUTIFUL! And you have all sorts of room for creativity.
I've got a mandala book on my Amazon wishlist, but haven't bought it yet.

I'll be watching to see how your project progresses! Spacing the pieces is an interesting concept for sure.

Wendy

P.S. WOW, some of those coloring pages would make great quilting designs as well as piecing designs!
Old 08-05-2011, 03:53 AM

Your ideas are very creative k3n. I am very interested to see where this takes you. So will this be a wall hanging or a prayer quilt? I will be waiting in anticipation to see the final quilt
Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 AM
k3n
Power Poster

When I look at some of the more complex ones, they break down into more geometric shapes and swirls, scrolls etc. My idea was that the 'bones' of the piece, ie the simpler shapes would be applique and the FMQ would be the swirly parts. I like the idea of the applique being denser in the centre and the FMQ phasing in until at the outer edges, it's ONLY FMQ. The steam a seam is 18" wide so I'll do a square that size then cut my background a WOF and square (ie around 40") so that will leave lots of space for FMQ. Can't wait to make a start but I have to take the kids swimming first! LOL
Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs B
Your ideas are very creative k3n. I am very interested to see where this takes you. So will this be a wall hanging or a prayer quilt? I will be waiting in anticipation to see the final quilt
It's funny you should say that... I have a commission in the pipeline (not yet confirmed) to make a new altar cloth for our church and was thinking of a mandala as the centre piece, using the colours of the liturgical calendar. So this is in a sense a trial run for that. :-D Although mandalas are associated with Buddhism, Hinduism etc, they do have Christian roots as well... :-D
Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 AM

I did one miniature mandala quilt - it was from one of those coloring pages that I traced and embroidered and quilted around it. I'll see if I can find it
Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 AM

There are some stunning mandala quilts if you google "mandala quilts" images, would love to see what you come up with.
Where do you find the time to quilt as much as you do?? :lol: :lol: I wish I could find the time to make half the ideas swimming around in my head :mrgreen:
Old 08-05-2011, 04:24 AM

It's funny you should say that... I have a commission in the pipeline (not yet confirmed) to make a new altar cloth for our church and was thinking of a mandala as the centre piece, using the colours of the liturgical calendar. So this is in a sense a trial run for that. :-D Although mandalas are associated with Buddhism, Hinduism etc, they do have Christian roots as well... :-D[/quote]

I used to teach Sunday School and had a colouring mandala book that I used for the children. It was an activity that got them focused and quiet, and then they were ready to learn. Your altar cloth is going to be lovely too.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:31 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody
There are some stunning mandala quilts if you google "mandala quilts" images, would love to see what you come up with.
Where do you find the time to quilt as much as you do?? :lol: :lol: I wish I could find the time to make half the ideas swimming around in my head :mrgreen:
I have the google images page up now! They're mind blowing, aren't they. Regarding the time I spend - you should see the state of my house! :shock: :lol:

Mandalas are a form of kaleidoscope and I'm really into those - the OBW etc... so this seems like a natural progression for me. :-D
Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by woody
I have the google images page up now! They're mind blowing, aren't they. Regarding the time I spend - you should see the state of my house! :shock: :lol:

Mandalas are a form of kaleidoscope and I'm really into those - the OBW etc... so this seems like a natural progression for me. :-D
LOL Mine is actually clean and tidy at the moment, I have my Mother in law staying :mrgreen: :mrgreen: So no sewing :thumbdown: :thumbdown: