Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mariner's compass

mariner's compass

Does anyone know where I can find a Mariner's Compass quilt pattern that is not paper pieced? All of the ones I find online are all paper-pieced. There should be one out there somewhere with pattern pieces that I can trace onto plastic template pieces. Any help?

learn to paper piece. Sooo much easier and much more accurate.

I agree with ardnas. You just can't make points as accurately by piecing as you can with paper piecing. Check out Carol Doak's method.

Judy Mathison's book has detailed instructions on how to draft your own MC in any size you wish. You could draft your own and make your own templates
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...RAPQH38GK3SYDC

However, unless you are hand piecing, I agree with the previous posters to foundation piece it in some way. The above mentioned book features a method using freezer paper where you sew next to the folded paper instead of through it. I loved it and made a beautiful MC quilt using Judy's methods and book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    ... The above mentioned book features a method using freezer paper where you sew next to the folded paper instead of through it. I loved it and made a beautiful MC quilt using Judy's methods and book.
    this is the way i paper piece as well.... very easy!
    Nancy in western NY

Check out Phillips Fiber Art. They have a video on how to assemble their Mariner's Compass.

Quote Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
    Judy Mathison's book has detailed instructions on how to draft your own MC in any size you wish. You could draft your own and make your own templates
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...RAPQH38GK3SYDC

However, unless you are hand piecing, I agree with the previous posters to foundation piece it in some way. The above mentioned book features a method using freezer paper where you sew next to the folded paper instead of through it. I loved it and made a beautiful MC quilt using Judy's methods and book.
    This sounds like really good advice. You will do well!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu