Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mariner's Compass >

Mariner's Compass

Mariner's Compass

Old 04-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I highly recommend the Mariners Compass book by Judy Mathieson. Not only does this book contain a pattern that large for a couple of different MC but also teaches the freezer paper technique for making them and instructions on how to draft your own. http://www.amazon.com/Mariners-Compa...0819223&sr=1-2
Old 04-09-2010, 05:44 AM

Thank you all for your encouragement and vote of confidence that I can draft my own pattern and for the links to the patterns.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
I want to make a Mariner's Compass that will be as large as the traditional Lone Star quilt. I'm thinking about 30 inches diameter.
Does anyone know how to do this or have a pattern this large? All the patterns I have found are for 12 inch blocks.
Do an internet search for Medalion Mariner's Compass Quilt Block and see if that brings up anything. Or Mariner's Compass Medalion Quilt Pattern.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:12 AM

The one I want to copy is a wall hanging or a lap quilt. I just know that I want to make that my center and then have 8 - 12" embroidered lighthouses on the border. This quilt is for my husband who served in the Coast Guard and loves lighthouses.
I may have to just get daring and take it to my quilting group along with my hoola-hoop and draft the pattern the way I want it... I was just hoping that someone else had already done the work for me :D
Okay, I have to ask....why the hoola hoop? Inquiring minds want to know!
:)

Ditter
Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ditter43
The one I want to copy is a wall hanging or a lap quilt. I just know that I want to make that my center and then have 8 - 12" embroidered lighthouses on the border. This quilt is for my husband who served in the Coast Guard and loves lighthouses.
I may have to just get daring and take it to my quilting group along with my hoola-hoop and draft the pattern the way I want it... I was just hoping that someone else had already done the work for me :D

Ditter
It is really difficult to find a compass that will draw a circle big enough to draft a 30" compass. Basically she would have to resort to the string around a pivot point or a hula hoop

:lol:
Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM

How ingenious!!! I'd have never thought of that. I'd have probably just folded into quarters and done the string thing but that's never completely accurate.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Maybe someone with knowledge of EQ6 could do a basic design for you in the size you want. I know it is able. You just need a willing person....I don't know it well enough yet!!
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43

I was using the hoola hoop to get the diameter of the compass :D
That way I could also see how much of the queen size bed it would cover. I don't want the compass to drape off the sides. Yes, there is a reason for my madness :D

Ditter
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 PM

Leota, do you mean you use the hoop on fabric and don't really "Hula Hoop" when you cut???? Oh man, I was looking forward to a video of that. LOL
Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM

There was a pattern for a King size quilt that has a MC center that is paper pieced and measures 24" square.
It is called Set Sail and was in the Fall/Winter 2008 Quilt Sampler magazine.