Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: marking a quilt

What is the best thing to draw a design on a dark border? Do the quilt pencils come out easy??? :?:

Banned
    it sounds strange but I use the left over skinny slivers of bar soap. If I need a pointy piece I just break one off and use it like a pencil.

I use white chalk quilt pencils.

Hi,

Clover makes what looks like a ballpoint pen that writes in white. When you first put it on the top it looks like it didn't work. Give it a minute and it kind of develops. I just marked a quilt last night. I used the clover pen in the dark green borders. On the lighter fabrics I used that blue quilt marker that you have to sprintz or rinse out. As long as you don't iron the quilt before you remove the marks they will come out. I usually buy my marking tools with my JoAnns coupons or when their quilt or sewing notions are on sale. I also use chalk pencils. They brush off with a soft toothbrush. Somewhere I saw where you can use children's wash out crayons. I am not sure I would try that. In the old days everyone just used a #2 pencil but it usually doesn't come out. Our guild once sent a rafflequilt to an Amish woman to hand quilt. She did a beautiful job but she marked it with a #2 pencil. We entered it in the state fair and it won a prize for a group quilt but the judges commented on the pencil marks.

I love the clover white !!! just make sure you don't have to iron anything after you put it on !

Mary L

Blog Entries
    lots of great information, thanks everyone