Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marking Tools

Good Morning! Happy New Year!

I have a question for all of you quilters out there. What tool do you use to mark the quilting lines on a quilt top? I have tried several markers, and they don't seem to show up very well. They are either too light or the line is very hard to keep straight-they don't flow smoothly. Can someone please give me some advice about how to mark the quilting lines? Thank you in advance for helping me.

I have found the same as you, I work by hand and quilt mainly about 1/4 inch from the seam. There are chalk type markers for dark fabrics which brush off or some come out with cold water. I am sure someone else will soon come up with an answer for you.

Blog Entries
    I like blue painter's tape for straight lines, used soap bar sliver for curving lines. Have never found a good solution for marking curving lines on white fabric.

I just yesterday tried the bar soap, it was a light blue bar and it shows up great on everything but white.

You could also try watercolor pencils, they are available in many shades and they are quite easy to sharpen - especially when you put them in the fridge a few hours before using them!
    The markings rubb off after a while and they are also gone after washing the quilt.

Great tips. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Borntohandquilt
    You could also try watercolor pencils, they are available in many shades and they are quite easy to sharpen - especially when you put them in the fridge a few hours before using them!
    The markings rubb off after a while and they are also gone after washing the quilt.
    What a good idea, I never thought of that, I can borrow my granddaughters which she leaves here.

Just one more tip regarding the watercolor pencils: test them before use! Every fabric reacts different to the colors of the pencil and sometimes it is harder to remove the markings. It's always better to test in advance.

Banned
    I only use and recommend the watercolor pencils in white or light gray. Have been using the dk gray to good results.
    They are "Multi Pastel chalk pencils by General Pencil Co
    Can be found in art supply stores or quilt shops or from The Stencil Co. I also like the mechanical ceramic pencils. The white does well on dark fabrics and rubs off and washes out.

The best thing I have found to mark my quilts is an item from Pilot call FriXion. All you have to do is iron it when you are finished & the markings are removed (like magic). I love it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast