Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martelli Quick Bind System >

Martelli Quick Bind System

Martelli Quick Bind System

Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 PM

Has anyone used the Martelli Quickbind system? I've watched the video and am intrigued, but it is pretty expensive. Anyone here use it? Like it / hate it? Inquiring minds want to know...

http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=BIN
Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 PM

Haven't seen this one before. would be interested in see others responses.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM

I've only been quilting for a little over a year, but I'm very skeptical about this product. For starters, I went to the website and couldn't find a video demonstration (tho it's entirely possible that I'm at fault.) The only video I found cost ~$10!

That said, I have found that making and attaching binding to a quilt is the easiest step of all! While I've spent many $ on supposedly premium gadgets over the years, most have been great disappointments. Most sellers of same target those of us who question our skills and our ability to learn.

I strongly recommend that you save your money and learn to bind your quilts without this product. If you like, I can tell you how I do my quilt bindings. Others on this site can help you, as well. There may also be tutorials available if you use the "search" engine on this site!

Sushi
Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM

I have never seen that website but I'm in LOVE! :D
Did you see the special foot for doing circles or curves?
I wonder if that works? Cool stuff!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

I didn't like it at all! Waste of money for me. I find it is easier to just do the binding, rather than fiddle with all of the little pieces to this system.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM

I went back and looked and realized that it doesn't do the hard part :( Ironing a piece of fabric in half, machine sewing it to the quilt, etc. really is the easy part. It's wrapping it around to the back and hand stitching it with the "blind stitch/hem stitch" or whatever it's called that is hard :(

Originally Posted by sushi
I've only been quilting for a little over a year, but I'm very skeptical about this product. For starters, I went to the website and couldn't find a video demonstration (tho it's entirely possible that I'm at fault.) The only video I found cost ~$10!

That said, I have found that making and attaching binding to a quilt is the easiest step of all! While I've spent many $ on supposedly premium gadgets over the years, most have been great disappointments. Most sellers of same target those of us who question our skills and our ability to learn.

I strongly recommend that you save your money and learn to bind your quilts without this product. If you like, I can tell you how I do my quilt bindings. Others on this site can help you, as well. There may also be tutorials available if you use the "search" engine on this site!

Sushi
Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm with sushi on this one. I think it's a lot of gadgetry that is unnecessary. Making corners with that would be a nightmare. And for anyone who likes "perfect" bindings by handsewing them down, forget it with this thing.
I've used similar attachments on my Singer and it's not as easy as it looks. You need 3 hands to work it well.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 PM

Hi
I have also wondered about this system. It seems to have received good reviews.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Qbee
I have never seen that website but I'm in LOVE! :D
Did you see the special foot for doing circles or curves?
I wonder if that works? Cool stuff!
I bought the circle foot. I tried with three different curves. I always came out with about 1/2 inch of the top fabric left over. I plan to return it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 PM

We were talking the other day at quilt guilt about borders and bindings. Someone was suggesting pieced borders and fancy work on them. We all agreed that we look forward to a simple border because we are so nearly through. Even quilts we love get to the point where then seem to never end. Why would we extend the process. We were kidding, but only half kidding.