Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Martha Thompson And/Or Patricia Pepe? >

Martha Thompson And/Or Patricia Pepe?

Martha Thompson And/Or Patricia Pepe?

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM

I made a placemat sized piece according to the directions in Martha Thompson re-released "Square Dance" book. She provided paper templates for you to copy and directions for how to use them. It's adorable!

But I can't figure out if Martha Thompson and Patricia Pepe (the author that comes up when you look at x-blocks) are doing the same thing. I simply don't want to buy the Pepe books and rulers if I don't have to and worse, the curiosity is killing me.

I've read everything I can find on the internet and I have the "Square Dance" book. I've looked at what I can find on the x-block and Patricia Pepe. Neither book or progam seems to reference the other.

So, is there anyone that has used or know about both? Someone who can explain the difference to me? (Not at top form today so use little words.)

Jois
Even if you don't ask, I'll attach the files or urls later, I promise.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Martha Thompson has at least 4 books to her credit.
1. Start with Squares - Speedy square piecing for scrap quilts. It's a few years old and out of print but Amazon has very inexpensive copies used for sale. I'll get one for curiosity sake.
2.& 3 had to do the sewing up a group of squares into a rectangle and making a template from the book to re-cut the rectange into another shape and sewing it back up again. Both went out of print.
4. Square Dancing - Fancy quilts from plain squares - is her pick of the best of books 2 & 3 and getting the re-print renamed to Square Dancing. Again you'd make a template from the one printed in the book.
5. And one more that is the latest published and pretty new. It again shows you how to start off and cut and reshape a couple time over and end up with something very different, both pretty and artsy.

You can see the covers (except for 2 & 3) on Amazon.com. Looks interesting.

I made a small placemat in her pinswheel pattern but wasn't too happy with my Wheaties box template. I thought there should be one for sale on the internet but all I found were "x-block" acrylic templates.

The x-block templates come in something like 6 sizes which was confusing. Had 6/5" on a large template and a small one and the small one, I think, was called "belly button."

The books that describe the use of the x-block template and show the pattterns and so on were written by Patricia Pepe and the books (2 or three of them) have titles that start with "Once Upon a Time" or something about a queen or castle - find "Once Upon a Time" and the rest will be around there someplace. I haven't bought any of these books but think they are easy to find at Amazon and other places.

The paper copies in Martha Thompson's book and the template from Patricia Pepe do look sort of alike but I'm not sure.

So I have mixed feelings about having to buy a Patricia Pepe book and template to find out if they were very alike and if I could use the easier template and on and on and on.

Maybe someone on the board will will know someone who can answer this question and put my little mind at rest.

Thanks for reading,
Jois