Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marti Michell Log cabin ruler >

Marti Michell Log cabin ruler

Marti Michell Log cabin ruler

Old 01-24-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Marti Michell Log cabin ruler

Do you have this ruler? Are you glad you do? I am considering buying one, but what size shall I buy?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:48 AM

As I recall each of her log cabin rulers has measurements for two different sizes. I have not bought the rulers, though I did take her Craftsy class to learn the method she uses for log cabins. She provided paper copies of the rulers in the class materials and I used those when making log cabins using her method. My take away was that her method of making log cabin blocks is useful if you are making a quilt from either fat quarters or yardage-- if so, then you will save fabric and time because you precut everything before assembling your blocks.

However, if you are making scrappy log cabin blocks from your scrap stash her method may or may not be helpful. I did find that when doing it her way my log cabin blocks were less likely to get wonky than if I made them my usual way which is start with a square, find a strip, sew, trim, find next strip, sew, trim etc. Using her method your strips are already cut to the exact size (width and length) needed, so it becomes immediately obvious if your block is going astray. But you would not be able to cut as efficiently as you would if using fat quarters or yardage.

Hope that helps.

Rob
Old 01-25-2017, 05:02 AM

I have her log cabin rulers, and I also took her Craftsy and for myself I love her method, I made a king size log cabin quilt in less than a week,my blocks were square and I had nothing to trim down and my quilt ended up perfectly square thus making my very first king size quilt a painless and fun process. Chain piecing was quick and easy and because everything is cut exactly to size it creates less headaches.
Specialty rulers are a personal choice, I have no issues buying something that help she me achieve better results and some rulers are better than others, but IMHO her log cabin rulers are worth the cost and her methods are by far superior to other methods I have seen and tried.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:25 AM

Would this method work well if you have your material cut already (i.e. with an accuquilt cutter?)
Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 AM

I have one of her rulers that cuts the logs to size. I like it. Even though I don't make a lot of log cabin quilts, I have repurposed the ruler to fold my fat quarters. That I use frequently as I buy way too many fat quarters!
Old 01-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Would this method work well if you have your material cut already (i.e. with an accuquilt cutter?)

I have the log cabin Go die that cuts 1 1/2 strips to exact length. I can make up to a 12" block. There is no method really. Sew the correct size strips in order, to make the block.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:10 AM

I have one of her log cabin rulers and never used since I find it much easier to do Paper Piecing Log Cabin blocks.
If you want all diff types of Log Cabin blocks ck out 101 Log Cabin Blocks book...Paper Piecing. Probably can pick it up on amazon second hand cheap
Old 01-26-2017, 04:47 PM

I hope others will add their thoughts to this thread. I'm eager to learn more!
Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
I have one of her log cabin rulers and never used since I find it much easier to do Paper Piecing Log Cabin blocks.
If you want all diff types of Log Cabin blocks ck out 101 Log Cabin Blocks book...Paper Piecing. Probably can pick it up on amazon second hand cheap
Is that the book by Linda Causee of 101 LOG cabin Blocks?